Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

singlespeed

building turbine time
I know this sounds a little strange so I thought I would ask here. I heard that Mesa is hiring off the street Captains for the Dash-8 in Denver. I would think they would have plenty of people to fly them internally. Has anyone heard the same rumor?

Can they not find people from with in the company? Do you work for Mesa or do you know someone who does?

The new contract has strict rules which govern upgrade and transition.

You can only upgrade to captain in your aircraft type or an RJ (highest paying position). There is also no FO to FO movement.

The company is supposedly saving millions on training (at our expense).

Alot of senior Dash FOs are hanging out and waiting to go directly to the left seat of the jet. It is getting more and more junior. If they upgrade in the dash the seatlock is 1.5 years (also new).
Some of the junior dash FOs don't have the hours to upgrade.
(san juan grads).

So basically your seeing street captains.

Wow let me say again wow. I never thought in today’s job market that I would see this. Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity what’s the CA pay on the Dash and time requirements? I know people who might be interested.

i think mesa only has 12 or so DH8's so i think the street captain hirings are done. it should be a quicker upgrade though for those fo's on both the dash and beech. (3-4 mos).

First of all, there's no specific interview or application for such a thing... If they feel you are qualified, they may send you to the Dash Class... I'm not really sure of the criteria..

The 1st year Dash Captain Pay is 37.64/hr

There is a 18 month seat lock.

I am one of the "street captains" they hired in the first class which started in January. The class contained 15 People. Mostly made up of United furloughees. 2 guys in the class were former Mesa Dash Captains who moved on and were returning IE:UAL and National airlines... The few NON-UAL types had varied experience, mostly 121, Transport catagory A/C or Military, etc.

One guy, a CFI, will be an FO, but only until he has ATP minimums (Like 6 months or less)

So far, 2 Washed out completely. One busted the systems test, and one busted the oral. (Keep in mind this is a TYPE rating oral, like 4 hours) 2 others busted the Oral, but were able to re-take it and continue.

on 3/1 another Dash class begins. Supossedly another group of street captains. Technically everyone's hired as an FO, and you will submit a standing bid while in training. All but one in our class was awarded captain in the first standing bid... All DHC captain newhires have been based in DEN.

CitationLover said:
i think mesa only has 12 or so DH8's so i think the street captain hirings are done. it should be a quicker upgrade though for those fo's on both the dash and beech. (3-4 mos).

12 now, but 4 more in april or may for the United system.

They have held back jet captain awards from current dash captains because of understaffing... The last standing bid released SEVERAL dash captains to the jets, so I believe the demand is still there....

Otto:

Did you fill out the application or just call Lori directly?

Did they tell you it was a street captain position right away?

A buddy walked my App in like a year before....

No they Didn't tell me, but I found out through some sources before I left for ground school..

Being from Philly, I was initially hoping for the CRJ in PHL, but I deffinately can't complain about this arangement..

Latest resources

Back