Looking for career advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

00Dog

In general, would a major airline prefer to hire someone from a 121 regional carrier over a Part 91 corporate pilot? Are there many of you out there that have gone directly to a major from corporate flying?

I think that it is a safe assumption to make that most if not all major airlines WANT to see prior 121 time over 135 or 91 flying. Not to say that it would be an "impossible" transition to make since "some" pilots can and do go corporate or 135 flying directly to the airlines BUT I think "IF" you can get 121 time under your belt you will have a much better chance at getting to a major airline faster than a pilot who tries to avoid the commuters and build up the majority of their time either 91 or 135.- food 4 thought and I would have to say the biggest reason for this is that the majors know that you already are in the 121 "mix of things" including the flows, regs, and probably the biggest is "121 standardization" which you cannot get flying 135 or 91. At 23 I wish I could be able to make the jump right to the "majors" one day down the line BUT I think I will need to go to the regionals to "secure" the 121 experience to make myself more "marketable"-

Especially with the "no-shortage of pilots" day in age I believe it will be imperative to have 121 time in your logbook just to secure the interview although alot of this has to do with the current "hiring trends" and how "marketable" you can make yourself.- We operate everything from the entire fleet of King Air's to the Dornier 328 Jet's but it is "135 flying"- not to knock or degrade this flying BUT its not 121 and I have yet to see one of our pilots make the "jump" to the majors, most will be VERY marketable for a regional job though......-

Most of our pilots are older and do this as a "second" career after having retired from their first so they usually have no ambition or desire to go to the majors so I would be hard pressed to make any comparisons between the two however SWA and Jet Blue have been known to hire prior 135 guys with no prior 121 experience- In my opinion its all a matter of making yourself VERY "diversed" and marketable SO that being said take baby steps and let the shape of the industry dictate what it takes to get to the majors IF thats your objective-

Cheers as always- - -

Maybe

Possible but improbable.

You would really need some friends plus quality jet time to make it today.

Latest resources

Back