Looking for basic Colgan Air information

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ProPilot5

I am looking for some intro information on Colgan, any information would be appreciated:

Training duration / where done at / Simm or plane?
Paid during training / Hotel / Per Diem?
Junior 1900 bases? How are 1900 / SAAB decided?
Total number of pilots / How much reserve?
number of hours a month to expect?

Thanks.

Wow a C-172 driver that is actually picky. I have never seen that before. Usually they are ready to cut off their left nut to fly for a regional.

Rock on man!!

about 6 weeks for the saab, less for the beech/Manassas or Houston/Sim
$50 a day/hotel paid for/only if you spend time away from base
Don't know about the 1900/ Have no idea, they flip a coin or something/
about 250 pilots and climbing/ Was given a line right away with some reserve built in/

Be careful what you wish for

Violated, that is all you need to know about Colgan scheduling.

In reality, here is the breakdown. Beech ground school in Manassas (indoc = 5 days, systems = 10-12 days, sim = 8 sessions, IOE = approx. 4-5 days).

$50/day while in training, hotel is provided (double occupancy), no perdiem. Once through your checkride, you will be provided single occupancy hotel rooms when on TDY trips. Starting pay once on-line is $20/hr for Beech and $21/hr for Saab with a 75 hour guarantee.

From the day you arrive, expect 1.5 months, maybe 2 until you are on line. THEN, and this is a big THEN, depending on your base assignment, you may go right to the line flying. In some cases you start flying, only to sit reserve the next month, only to fly 1/2 the next month. There is no rhyme or reason.

If you come to Colgan, you will, eventually, get flight time. You will get plenty of DUTY time. AND, you will get abused. There is an upgrade and an ATP in your near future at Colgan, but you will pay dearly for it, and those around you will suffer along with you. Some call this paying your dues, but I disagree. We have already paid substantially to reach our current status, now we must suffer through wages that our less than our McDonalds counterparts. Not kidding, do the math. We are supposed to be intelligent, skilled professionals. What is our skill and dedication worth? Obviously not much. There is no merit system at Colgan. Just do your job and shut up. If we call you... work, if we don't call you, then don't bother us. Bottom line, if you want to fly schedules full of 3 hours flight time for 12 hours duty time, come to Colgan. If you want a quick upgrade, come to Colgan. If you want to be treated like you don't matter, come to Colgan. If you want to fly around in a recurring MEL, come to Colgan. If you can put up with these issues, get your ATP, and earn your PIC time... welcome to Colgan, just don't say we didn't warn you.

Don't let this detract from the fact that Colgan has many fine pilots and other individuals who are a joy to be around. It is not so much the people at Colgan, it is the culture that has grown out of control. Greed is a dirty word.

beechcowboy said:
Violated, that is all you need to know about Colgan scheduling.

Don't let this detract from the fact that Colgan has many fine pilots and other individuals who are a joy to be around. It is not so much the people at Colgan, it is the culture that has grown out of control. Greed is a dirty word.

Well said....Couldn't have said it any better....I wonder how long it will take someone to figure out that the Bournemann System is f*d up when it comes to the reduced rest issue. I had to sit in the Kremlin last night and give ground school to the 2 screw schedulers about rest requirements. Their reply....."Uh, we didn't know that...."

Last edited:
And to think I thought Beechcowboy was Jeb...

Don't forget to splain the Whitlow letter to them new screw schedulers.

chperplt said:
And to think I thought Beechcowboy was Jeb...

Don't forget to splain the Whitlow letter to them new screw schedulers.

Don't worry....they know now....just hope DR doesn't brain wash them again.

My Favorite was when they'd schedule "Hot Reserve" in HEF to start at 10:00. When there is no plane, and you are there, they'd push your duty on time to Noon or whenever is suited them. This is done while you are there in uniform. Yes, this happened to me on multiple occaisions and this is the reason I left.

Oh hell no. Don't get me started on those freaks. I caught them switching up scheduled block times a few weeks ago to keep us within 8 hours scheduled. Funny, when I queried scheduling about how the block times from A to B on one round trip were 20 minutes shorter on the next round trip to the same place, the reply was "uh, you probably should ask D. Rose about that... that is kinda wierd???" Somethin's fishy and it ain't the fish. My all time favorite is the hurry to HEF as quickly as possible, the plane is ready right now. Get there, no plane cuz the mechanics left the battery master on for a couple hours and killed it, no release because, well who needs an excuse, they're crack addicts. My only question, why do these people risk their careers doing this stupid crap. I got four words for them, "NOT FIT TO FLY".

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back