Looking For a Good Aviation college

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tjm13099

I am looking for a good aviation college to go to that you start flying and you dont have to wait to years before you actually get behind the control of a plane. Ive been looking at (ERAU) (NORTH DAKODA UNIVERSITY) (FIT) (DOWLING) ( SUNY FARMIGDALE) AND (JACKSONVILLE) . Anyone went to any of these colleges ?? Can anyone give me som info on dowling and farmigdale and jacksonville ext..........

Good Aviation college ...

There are none!

Go to a college of your choice and get a degree in something you could make a real living at, and while your in school take flying lessons on the side. Get your cfi and start to build hours giving instruction. By the time you have a degree you should have a 1000 hours or so and be able to get a job where ever you please. Instructing would be a good way to earn money while in school and build the time you need too!

I looked at alot of schools few years ago. I choose an aviation degree, went to school for about a year or so, realised that the flight training part of these "aviation colleges" was inadiquate and went to a large nation wide flight school (ATP). got all my ratings, have been instructing for about 8months and got hired by a charter company in my home town to fly right seat in turbines. Now i plan to finish a degree online at a school like uath valley state college. This is just what i have observed and i am not trying to sway anyone to a certian school. I do not care what school you go to (at all), just trying to help out, so far everything has worked out for me pretty well... so far!

Good luck and I hope you DO NOT go to any of those pay for training schools. They all suck and all they care about is taking your money. I believe that it looks bad on your resume, i know that I would not hire anyone who paid for training.

I got my BS in aviation technology and I concur with whats posted above. Get a degree in something else you are interested in and can make a decent living at. Get those ratings on the side. It was too late before I realized that my degree is worthless outside aviation and now I am considering pursuing my MBA so I have some knowledge outside the industry.

If i could do it again i would double major in Aviation and maybe business or something along those lines so I have some experience in other markets. If you're lookin for a good school with low prices I went to Southeastern Oklahoma State. You'll fly your first week and the complete 4 year program is around 40K and that includes flying. The price is right but you have to realize where youll be living before you sign up. If you have any q's pm me.

Fsu

Fairmont State University
affordable with great instructors, good facilities. 4 year BS. you won't have to wait forever to get in the cockpit. Program is really taking off, I graduate from there in Spring of '06 or Fall of '06. currently about 25 students (small and caters to students individual needs) very easy to get an aircraft for solo time when working on your commercial cert. based out of CKB 7,000 ft. x 150 ft. runway makes learning to land quite a forgiving experience. Good university life with 10,000 plus kids. I've really had a good time here. You can get your degree in whatever you want and still fly at fairmont state and receive college credit for flying. I have a friend who is an english major (i don't know why) but he's working on his his instrument rating. I have a friend that transfered to riddle and she says the quality of the education is the same. They have a program where you can get in state tuition for students from certain states. Tuition in state is about $4,000 not including flight fees.

Last edited:
Aviation Dream

Don't listen to them. Follow your dream, follow your heart. Become that Glamorous, Highly Paid, TransContinental Airline Pilot. You'll be flying "Heavy Iron" across the pond and having a Super Hot Sky Hostess in your hotel everynight before you know it. Come and live the dream. And you better pay your Union Dues.

Latest resources

Back