Looking for a 744 sim program called Precision 744

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Carlton

Like the title says does anyone know where I can get this program from , or how much it costs . I hear it's meant to be a pretty good package.

PS 744 is a pretty good program. Mostly it is good as a procedures trainer on the 744 systems and the FMS. It is set up mostly to be flown through the aircraft automation systems (as is the real aircraft) It can be hand flown though it can be a handful.

There are some important caveats that you should know about:

1. It is not supported anymore.
2. I am not sure, but you will pay full original price for the program.
3. It is NOT guaranteed to run on Windows XP
4. The graphics s*ck, it is low resolution, and CANNOT be changed.

I had to purchase an old computer running Windows 98 to run this program without it crashing all the time. It will not use any USB equipment and everything on it is set up for legacy parts.

There is an active forum. Mostly it is full of serious hobbyists, techies, very skilled computer types, and a few pilots. Getting the program to run on XP is possible, though it takes a lot of technical work (registry editing, etc.) and full functionality is questionable. I know this from personal experience. Some of the people on the forum are very helpful, others can get flippant and short if you are not a full time skilled "coder" and don't extoll the virtues of the program and genuflect to the individual that wrote the original program.

There are some other programs that are in the works that will run on the MS Flight Simulator platform that look promising as a replacement for PS 744. There is also an add on for MS Flight Simulator called Project Magenta. It uses networked computers and will display the PFD & MCDU's on a seperate monitor. I don't know what the price is, I think it's pretty expensive. The other thing is that the graphics card on the networked computer needs to be Open GL compatible. These cards are upper tier equipment and are a bit more expensive than the generic run of the mill video cards. The other thing is I don't need a pile of computers junking up the house (my PS 744 computer lives in the garage).

I would be interested in a good Jet PC simulator that I could use to practice IFR procedures on. I have yet to find one yet. Suggestions anyone?

Latest resources

Back