Looking 4 info on Piper seneca II

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

darien

I'm looking into joining a partnership in a pa 34-200t cr turbo seneca II. Where can i find performance info specs on fuel burn etc. Anywords of advise are also greatly appreciated.
Darien

Go grab the aircraft manual and study it. No better source for the performance. Then grab the maintenance manuals and study those. No better source for systems.

The Seneca II is a forgiving airpalne with some of the best single engine performance in a light piston twin. Most of my time in them was spent operating off rough dirt airstrips in some harsh conditions, and they performed well.

The door, like most of the piper cherokee line of doors, is junk, and the latch is prone to wear and breakage. Take care with it.

Baby the engines. Take care of them, they'll take care of you.

The landing gear is strong. The spar box where the gear turnion attaches is not. I can say that from experience.

The spar is not excessively strong. Don't test it. Trust me on that.

For a light piston twin, it's a nice flying airplane. Have a good prebuy done on it, using someone you really trust...your mechanic, not theirs.

We have the same mechanic and I trust him. Was wondering if there is a website with the numbers for a quick reference to see if this plane would be an option for my purpose.

I average 12-13/hr per engine running freight. At 9k (boss is too cheap for oxygen) that gives 165-180 true. Depending on the plane (some are more twisted than others).

Either 92 or 123 gal. usable total capacity, the short range models you'll actually reach max zero fuel weight before you reach max t/o weight, even with fill fuel, unless you have deicing equipment installed.

Average empty weights I've seen are 3020-3180lbs. With the 93 gal. tanks (or 3 1/2 hours of go-juice) that'll give you around 700-800 lbs of payload, not including the 200lb pilot and his gear.

Big cabin, plenty of room for 4 people and bags, might be kind of cozy if you try and squeeze 6 and bags though.

thanks momally My largest hurdle may be the ins. premium partners are currently paying 2500 each 2 of them I would be the third but prob larger premium. Depending on cost may be going with a used twinkie Lower all around cost

Vik you had that for a while. I rember talking to you about that about a year ago. If you run across a good one let me know. I could use some help. I may find a partner and buy one. I have a partnership in other planes and it works out well.
D

Look long and hard at the engines. Those 6 cyl 360 Conts are not owner-friendly. If there are more than 700 hours on the cylinders, expect to do a top OH soon. I believe that is about $1300/clyliner + labor. A factory engine with a OH turbo is about $31,000 each + about 25-30 hrs labor per side

One thing I seem to recall is that the Seneca has to get to altitude to get the speed the Baron 58 gets down low.

Also, have a very good inspectipon of the fwd bulkhead and A-frame. I've seen several nose gears and A-frames shear and break due to bad landings. Makes them look like low-riders.

The greatest cost of ownership is not the purchase price. It's the mx. I love the PA30 except you are looking at a 40-50 year old airframe and all the issues asociated with 40-50 year old parts.

...and then you have to worry about selling it.

Best of luck.

I believe we always flight planned for 170 true, and it worked out fairly close. 15=17 gph was a good fuel burn, and we had 123 gallon tanks. Same speed high or low, fuel burn got better with height. The one thing that stuck out in my mind about that airplane was it's single engine service ceiling. Practically speaking, we were able to hold about eight thousand on one engine with several people and full fuel. For a light twin, that's pretty good.

Our engines made TBO. We traded for remains, I installed those. The weren't cheap, and they're not getting any cheaper. Those airplanes were hard workers off rough fields and rough conditions, and held up quite well, all things considered.

Latest resources

Back