Long-Haul Cargo Pilot Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyer1015

This is a question for long-haul pilots (airlines like Kalitta), where the typical schedule is 17 days away, 13 home. My question is, how do you do it? If you're single, I can see that it would be a great lifestyle, but those with families, how do you do it? I was reading an old gouge for Evergreen, and one of the questions they asked is how do you know you won't end up with a divorce due to the typical flying schedule that they have?

Some Fedex/UPS schedules have one week on/one week off, and I guess that wouldn't be too bad. But for anyone currently doing those cargo 17 on / 13 off schedules, can you provide any input?

Also, how did you convince your significant to "accept" your 17 on/13 off schedules with the cargo airline?

Also, I've read that some airlines can also schedule you to fly the last 17 days of the first month, and the first 17 days or so of the second month. Essentially, a trip that takes you away from home for 30+ days! How do you deal with that?

How do you deal with that?

It is a single man's game:

If ya are single and swingin: Great:

A girlyfriend in every port...Every lay-over is a party and then some.

Did that in the late 80s when I was very single...Evergreen DC-8 and B-747.

Great job, great schdule.

If ya need to be home now and then: Talk to Southwest and jetBlue.

Nuff said.

It kinda blows. I'm single with FDX and our schedules don't facilitate the dating world.

I met this smokin' hot chick the other night and she happened to work for a major hotel chain. After she finds out I'm an airline pilot (no, it wasn't my opening line) she says, "So, you're gone 14 days a month?"

"Well, yeah."

Noted. Don't think I'll be hearing from her again. Needy bitch.

Single with FedEx?

Can ya bid that base in the Phillipines?

Should be plenty of hot chicks and parties over there.

Long haul for the guys with wifes and kids:
yeah it will suck.

Have seen crews being stuck in Suadi for 5 -6 weeks at the time during the Haj season. Junior guys that can not bid out of it. They also have the young kids and would like to be home.

Here at my present ailine they just got a contract for 6 weeks of flying in Africa.
They asked for volunteers instead of assigning the junior meat.
A refreshing approach to the problem.

Flyer1015 said:
.....Also, how did you convince your significant to "accept" your 17 on/13 off schedules with the cargo airline?

Also, I've read that some airlines can also schedule you to fly the last 17 days of the first month, and the first 17 days or so of the second month. Essentially, a trip that takes you away from home for 30+ days! How do you deal with that?

Get furloughed, then ask her if she wants to deal with 17 days gone or house/food gone. After 2+ weeks at home she's usually as ready for me to go on a trip as I am (just don't whistle while you pack) ;) .

Actually 2 and 2 is much better, especially if you commute. You spend so much time traveling. I presently work with a retired Evergreen guy who bid his schedule to put his lines back to back. So he was gone a month and home a month.

If you flying within the 48 states from 6:00am to 11:00pm then a three or four day trip works. However, if you are crossing an ocean and 10 time zones jet lag effects you for a day or two afterwards. So a month of three or four day block trips would leave you alot more tired than a 12-16 day trip done in one block.

As far as the family, yes it is hard on the kids when you leave but you get a long stretch at home to go to all the activities. As for your spouse, after two weeks at home your spouse will be packing your bags so you can leave. After two weeks on the road you will come home to a spouse that really missed you.

As for the actual trip, you are not flying every day of that 12-16 day trip unlike the 3-4 day trips. Furthermore, you tend to only fly one leg a day. Much less stressfull than flying multi-leg trips per day.

As for pay, with a few exceptions bigger planes pay bigger salaries and the bigger planes fly the long haul. The international flying is the last arena of regulated flying still around. Domestic airlines will just continue their free for all. Read into that what you want.

Bottom line, if YOU and your spouse are the type of people who trust each other and and have an independence streak, you both will thrive on a 16-17 day on and 14-13 day off schedule. However, if YOU need to be around your family every few days and your spouse needs you to be around every few days, then listen to your inner voice and do not attempt this lifestyle. Losing a family is not worth it. There is no shame in admitting that YOU want to be closer to your family. From what I have seen it is the PILOT not the spouse that is the most unhappy because they got into a job (long haul only airline) and cannot take the long trips.

Besides flying 4 four day trips a month means you get to spend 16 days a month with the TSA and all the good food at the airport. A 16 day freight dog trip you only get to spend 2 days with the TSA and the folks at the passenger terminal on their $69.00 bus fares. lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back