Long-Haul Cargo Pilot Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MAGNUM!! said:
I met this smokin' hot chick the other night and she happened to work for a major hotel chain. After she finds out I'm an airline pilot (no, it wasn't my opening line) she says, "So, you're gone 14 days a month?"

"Well, yeah."

Noted. Don't think I'll be hearing from her again. Needy bitch.

Although I'm not a long haul cargo pilot, I find this hillarious. Now I just tell women that "I work in aluminium tubing, it's not very exciting". I am envious of the cargo guys though. You can just say you carry boxes for FedEx, UPS, ect. If the needy, superficial, status driven biaaaatch wants to pursue further conversation with somebody that she thinks drives a truck and drops off packages, god bless her!

Thanks for all the replies!

CSY Mon said:
It is a single man's game:

If ya are single and swingin: Great:

A girlyfriend in every port...Every lay-over is a party and then some.

Did that in the late 80s when I was very single...Evergreen DC-8 and B-747.

Great job, great schdule.

If ya need to be home now and then: Talk to Southwest and jetBlue.

Nuff said.

If you're allowed to tell, after Evergreen, where (airline) did you go? Where (airline) are you currently at ?

Flyer1015 said:
This is a question for long-haul pilots (airlines like Kalitta), where the typical schedule is 17 days away, 13 home. My question is, how do you do it? If you're single, I can see that it would be a great lifestyle, but those with families, how do you do it? I was reading an old gouge for Evergreen, and one of the questions they asked is how do you know you won't end up with a divorce due to the typical flying schedule that they have?

Some Fedex/UPS schedules have one week on/one week off, and I guess that wouldn't be too bad. But for anyone currently doing those cargo 17 on / 13 off schedules, can you provide any input?

Also, how did you convince your significant to "accept" your 17 on/13 off schedules with the cargo airline?

Also, I've read that some airlines can also schedule you to fly the last 17 days of the first month, and the first 17 days or so of the second month. Essentially, a trip that takes you away from home for 30+ days! How do you deal with that?

"Some Fedex/UPS schedules have one week on/one week off, and I guess that wouldn't be too bad. But for anyone currently doing those cargo 17 on / 13 off schedules, can you provide any input?"
There are international schedules at Brown which work you 14 days on and 12 days off. Week on/week off is typically only for domestic schedules. If you fly international you can count on being away from home 12-14 days in a row.

"Also, how did you convince your significant to "accept" your 17 on/13 off schedules with the cargo airline?"
If you married the right one, she should be understanding enough of your schedule to make it work. Noted that I didn't say she would like it, but she should support you on it.

When I bid back to international, I showed my new bride the bid packet, and explained the good, bad, and the ugly. Left no stone unturned and kept nothing secret from her. I also explained how nice it will be to have close to 2 weeks off in a row when I'm off duty.

I did not have to convince her of anything. I basically showed her what I wanted to do and she is very supportive of that. Just like anything else in marriage, you lay out the positives and the negatives and then make a decision as a team.

"Also, I've read that some airlines can also schedule you to fly the last 17 days of the first month, and the first 17 days or so of the second month. Essentially, a trip that takes you away from home for 30+ days! How do you deal with that?"
Preventitive maintenance. If able, bid whatever you can to avoid bumping up the days into each other. If that is not possible, and you cannot trade it away, then you just have to suck it up. In that case, bring a a lot of money and get to know where all of the places to do laundry are located in the cities you are transitioning through. Bring some running shoes and make the best out of your time on the road. I only had this happen once so far, and it was two reserve lines of 16 days bumping into each other. Luckily, I had bid for line improvement and got a line built out of table scraps for the following bid period. They weren't the best trips, but it got me 7 days off between trips.

Bellerophon said:
As for your spouse, After two weeks on the road you will come home to a spouse that really missed you.

HAHAHA!!!! You hope it's only your spouse. :)

Its a pretty simple formula....

If the wife is onboard with the idea, you're onboard flying the Heavies International.

If She is not......then FORGET IT!!!!

If you lay it all out and explain it to her, 99.9999% she'll be onboard.

All this talk about the essentials of putting food on the table will fly at first, but if she not onboard with idea....then expect to see a lawer and plan to loose more than half of everything.

Last edited:
say again said:
HAHAHA!!!! You hope it's only your spouse. :)

Don't try and surprise your spouse if you don't want to be surprised yourself.

You have to find the right person.I know lots of businessman that are gone as much as pilots.How long does it take at Fedex to work 10 days a month without commuting?And why do you think they changed fire fighter schedules to one day one day off and for three or four days and then 3 or 4 days off.

It would have to be the right person. So when you do get married really be sure, or you end up paying up a lot more in the long run. I have a nasty cargo sch, and it is very hard to do the whole relationship thing. Also I'm female and run across the same thing guys get from there girlfriends. Its a great industry and I think if you want it all you can have it all. Just really make sure before you say I do.. good luck

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back