Logging Time???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
61.51e says.....

e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A recreational, private, or commercial pilot may log pilot-in- command time only for that flight time during which that person --

(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated;

(ii) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft; or

(iii) Except for a recreational pilot, is acting as pilot in command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted.

"Rated" means Category, Class, and Type, if applicable. Unless the aircraft requires a type rating that you do not hold, your airplane multi-engine land rating will suffice. All time which you are sole manipulator may be logged as PIC.

I am curious. Do either of these aircraft require a type rating? Can anyone point to an FAA lisitng of aircraft requiring a type rating? Thanks.

In response to Capt_Zman, I did my multi in a 1957 Piper Apache. It only has 160hp per side, which isn't considered high performance. So, there wasn't any problems with the examiner. I have reviewed FAR61.51 a lot and I'm still not sure if this time is loggable. I don't want to put something in my logbook that isn't true that will come back and bite me later on in my career.

I got my Multi-Engine rating in a Seminole - an aircraft that is complex, NOT high performance. My High Performance checkout was in a C182RG.

Thank You, that is what I am trying to imply. HP per side. Those who have received high performance endorsements in a Seminole recently better look in to things a little deeper. Your endorsement is not valid. A Seminole, Apache (unless it is a later rare Apache 235) even a Seneca with the 200hp engines is not considered high-performance. Combined hp does not matter. It seems stupid, but that is the way they put it. I wish the regs would just say something about multi-engine airplanes, but I think when it says: an airplane with AN engine with more than 200hp. An engine is one engine, and since multi-engine airplanes have the same output on each side, an engine is either the left, or the right.

Just a quick note on this topic. Neither a PA-28R-201 or PA-28R-200 are high performance. The 201 is not the horsepower of the engine. The last digit differentiates the different model, (multi-tapered vs. Hersey bar wing) not the horsepower.

One other thing, most turbocharged singles will have service ceilings of greater than FL250. The T206H for instance, I believe is certified to FL270. The high altitude endorsement is only required to act as PIC of pressurized aircraft certified above FL250.

It is my opinion that it is perfectly legal to log the time as long as you were the sole manipulator of an aircraft you were rated in. There are many, many discussions on this in the archives and the pro-pilot site.

The King Airs that require the type ratings are the 300/350 and some specially modified 200s, I believe, with MGTOW greater than 12,500 pounds.

-PJ

I don't have a high altitude sign off and I've logged 1400 hours in Brasilias and 328s. Only the PIC needs it as stated above.

To summarize,

Sure you could legal log the flight under Part61 PIC BUT the real question is should you?

I knew a girl who would ride right seat in Navajo's and King Airs. She didnt have a Part135 SIC checkout and the PIC wasnt an MEI but she logged every **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** minute of it because "hey, Part61 says I can!"
A year later she went on over 20 regional interviews and guess what there favorite question was? Tell me your ITT limits on the King Air? Or whats flaps speed on a Navajo? Lets see your Part135 SIC lettter. She is still flight instructing.

Your choice.

Deftone45075 -

You are wrong about logging PIC time. Under certain circumstances, it is perfectly legal to LOG PIC time even if you are not qualified to ACT as PIC, for example, due to a lack of an "endorsement". Before this will make sense to you, you have fully understand the strange and confusing concept in the FAR's that there is a distinct difference between LOGGING of PIC time, and actually ACTING as the PIC of an aircraft.

There is an extensive discussion of the concepts of logging of PIC time vs. acting as PIC at the following link:

www.propilot.com/doc/logging2.html

It's pretty interesting, you ought to read it.

Remember, ratings go on your certificate, endorsements go in your logbook. Are you "rated" for an aircraft? Look on your pilot's certificate, and see if you meet all the requirements (category, class, and type if required). If the answer = "yes", then you are rated for the aircraft.

What does that mean? It means you meet the requirements of 61.51(e)(1)(i) to LOG PIC time when you are the sole manipulator of the controls. 61.51(e)(1) says nothing about endorsements being required to log PIC time.

Can you ACT as PIC, with regard to endorsements? This is where 61.31 comes in. If you are missing any of the required endorsements for the aircraft in question, then even though you might be legal to LOG PIC time, you cannot ACT as PIC. In this case, you must have another pilot on board who CAN act as PIC.

Here are the appropriate references from the regs, along with a legal interpretation from the AFS board.

61.31 Type rating requirements, additional training, and authorization requirements.
(g) Additional training required for operating pressurized aircraft capable of operating at high altitudes.
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (g)(3) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a pressurized aircraft (an aircraft that has a service ceiling or maximum operating altitude, whichever is lower, above 25,000 feet MSL), unless that person has received and logged ground training from an authorized instructor and obtained an endorsement in the person's logbook or training record from an authorized instructor who certifies the person has satisfactorily accomplished the ground training.

(Note, the above refers to ACTing as PIC and also references an entry in the LOGBOOK, not your certificate. Emphasis in reference is mine)

61.51 Pilot logbooks.
(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A recreational, private, or commercial pilot may log pilot-in- command time only for that flight time during which that person --

(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which
the pilot is rated;

(Note, rated, not endorsed. Again, emphasis in reference is mine.)

Finally, here is the interpretation from the FAA legal eagle.

"14 CFR section 61.51(e) governs the logging of pilot-in-command time. This section provides, in pertinent part, that a private pilot may log pilot-in-command time for that flight time during which that person is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated. (Emphasis added)

The term "rated," as used under 14 CFR section 61.51(e), refers to the pilot holding the appropriate aircraft ratings (category, class, and type, if a type rating is required). These ratings are listed under 14 CFR section 61.5 and are placed on the pilot certificate.

Therefore, based on the scenario given to Mr. Lynch, a private pilot may log pilot-in-command time, in a complex or high performance airplane, for those portions of the flight when he or she is the sole manipulator of the controls because the aircraft being operated is single-engine land and the private pilot holds a single-engine land rating. Note, while the private pilot may log this time as pilot-in-command time in accordance with 14 CFR section 61.51(e), he or she may not act as the pilot in command unless he or she has the appropriate endorsement as required under 14 CFR section 61.31.

14 CFR section 61.31 requires a person to have an endorsement from an authorized instructor before he or she may act as pilot in command of certain aircraft (a complex airplane, a high performance airplane, a pressurized airplane capable of operating at high altitudes, or a tailwheel airplane). These endorsements are not required to log pilot-in-command time under 14 CFR section 61.51(e).

As you stated in your letter, there is a distinction between acting as pilot in command and logging pilot-in-command time. In order to act as pilot in command, the pilot who has final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight, a person must be properly rated in the aircraft and be properly rated and authorized to conduct the flight. In order to log pilot-in-command time, a person who is the sole manipulator of the controls only needs to be properly rated in the aircraft."

Latest resources

Back