Logging time in the Hawk AST 300

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

buckman

I'm currently taking a class which uses a Hawk AST 300 and am wondering how I should be logging the time. I fly for one hour in the left seat as the Pilot Flying and then one hour in the right seat as Filot Not Flying.
What is the proper way to log this time? Can I log both hours in the sim or just the time I'm flying?

Thanks!

Buckman

You can log PIC time while in the left seat. While in the right seat if I am not mistaken you can't log nothing. This is no different than when you flying in the C172 in the right seat.

Let's not be giving out bum information, somebody might take it seriously.

An AST-300 is not a simulator, not that it makes much difference. The definition of a simulator is contained in AC120-40. It may or may not even be a flight training device, depending on whether or not it's been qualified by the FAA and listed in a pilot training program. If it is in fact qualified as a FTD, you can log "synthetic trainer" time in it provided an instructor endorses your logbook for instruction given. It is not flight time nor is it PIC time.

How about Microsoft Combat Sim? I "flew" 1.7 today and splashed a bunch of Jerrys. One time my goggles even fogged up and the orange Cheetos grease from my fingers got on the lenses. I even almost got vertigo but thankfully I've got a bunch of time in the Spitfire so I just went with my instincts. (I'll count that part as Instrument Time for sure). I think the swastikas in my remarks column will surely impress the interviewers.

Thanks, FNG. I needed that laugh.

Seriously, it is very likely that the AST 300 is a qualified FTD, and it's use should be logged as 1) simulator time 2) simulated instrument time...WHEN an authorized instructor endorses your logbook for the time you spent manipulating the controls. I know of no right seat or sic time in a sim, except that required by a course for CRM training for a specific type.

A Question

This question is for THE FNG:

I have the old version of microsoft flight sim and was wondering if the approaches I fly on there are legal for me to remain current? I make the approaches hard too. I set them so I break out right at mins everytime. I usually fly the 747-400 when Im doing this, can I log this as multi-engine turbine PIC? Im just trying to meet the mins for FedEx.

Last edited:
Regardless of the difficulty of the approach used, the legality of logging simulator time for currency is determined by the PCATD and the software in question.

Examples of legal PCATD's are the Elite and Jeppessen systems. I know of NO version of MS flight simulator that meets the FAR requirements for a "PCATD".

In all cases, an authorized instructor must sign your logbook for each session of simulator flying to be used for instrument currency.

You're probably right.

I just didn't want others to see his post and get "creative" with their logging of sim time.

One man's joke could lead to another's "blown" interview.

Latest resources

Back