logging sim time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

saviboy

I am not an Mei but ME rated. I am also current instrument-wise. can I log the sim time i do on my own. I would say yes but look for confirmation.thanks

You can log it, but not to count for anything. Not flight time, multi time, or training (dual) time. All of the references to using simulator time for certification or currency always speak of "training time" with an "authorized instructor".

saviboy said:
I am not an Mei but ME rated. I am also current instrument-wise. can I log the sim time I do on my own. I would say yes but look for confirmation.thanks
Why would you say yes? I'm always curious about whether answers are based on something that was read or just made up.

Nosehair is right. If we're talking about logging for FAA purposes, the answer is a pretty clear no*. You can start with FAR 61.51.

* there is arguably a small hole in 61.51 that would let you to place the numbers in the device column, but =nowhere= else. Hardly worth it because it wouldn't count for anything other than "Hey! I flew a cool sim. See?"

how about this?

c) Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR, unless within the preceding 6 calendar months, that person has:
(1) For the purpose of obtaining instrument experience in an aircraft (other than a glider), performed and logged under actual or simulated instrument conditions, either in flight in the appropriate category of aircraft for the instrument privileges sought or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of the aircraft category for the instrument privileges sought—

(i) At least six instrument approaches;

(ii) Holding procedures; and

(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation systems.

Actually, that looks good. For maintaining currency, I don't see where it says "with an instructor".

saviboy said:
how about this?

c) Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR, unless within the preceding 6 calendar months, that person has:
(1) For the purpose of obtaining instrument experience in an aircraft (other than a glider), performed and logged under actual or simulated instrument conditions, either in flight in the appropriate category of aircraft for the instrument privileges sought orin a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of the aircraft category for the instrument privileges sought—

(i) At least six instrument approaches;

(ii) Holding procedures; and

(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation systems.

No, it doesn't say you have to have an instructor, but it does say that you have to have logged it. Reference 61.51 to find that you must have an instructor present to log sim time.

Ralgha said:
No, it doesn't say you have to have an instructor, but it does say that you have to have logged it. Reference 61.51 to find that you must have an instructor present to log sim time.
Ah! The key! I don't think you can answer =any= logging question without reference to the universal rule of logging.

61.51(g)(4):
==============================
A flight simulator or approved flight training device may be used by a person to log instrument time, provided an authorized instructor is present during the simulated flight.

Last edited:
midlifeflyer said:
Ah! The key! I don't think you can answer =any= logging question without reference to the universal rule of logging.

61.51(g)(4):
A flight simulator or approved flight training device may be used by a person to log instrument time, provided an authorized instructor is present during the simulated flight.

Ah! The key - time - we're not logging instrument time. We're logging approaches in a device.

Guess you can play the overanalyze game if you want to (I have fun with it also), but it's kind of hard to think about logging 6 instrument approaches in simulated IMC in a sim or FTD when putting a 0 in the sim or FTD column in the logbook.

midlifeflyer said:
it's kind of hard to think .

...I know. It is for me, too...believe me. It's hard for me to think of logging PIC time when you're not acting as PIC, but....

Anyway, you are right about the sim time has to be dual. Another glitch in the regs. 61.51(g)(3) says: "For purposes of logging instrument time to meet the requirements of 61.57(c)..." then in (4):"A flt sim or FTD...provided an authorized instructor is present."

61.51 references time while 61.57 does not say time, but only approaches, etc.
Sooo, the question is, Do yu feel lucky?

Latest resources

Back