Logging SIC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Medicryan

Quick question for you guys. I may have an upcoming opportunity to fly right seat in a Navajo soon. I would only be flying on dead legs since it is a single pilot operation. My question is, can you legally log SIC if it is a single pilot operation and the company insurance does not require 2 pilots? Any loopholes or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

You can only log SIC in a situation where FARs require an SIC, and you are appropriately rated and qualified. Even insurance requirements do not enable it.

Part 135, Single Pilot, either no SIC authorized by Ops Specs or you are not SIC qualified (trained and checked) if SIC are authorized - you are a passenger on the 'live legs', and you can't touch the controls, or tune radios etc..

On the Part 91 legs, you may log PIC time for time you fly the airplane (sole manipulator of controls) - airplane is not assigned to you.

If the customer is being charged for the airplane the entire time ie on dead legs - the entire operation should be Part 135 - and you can't log any of it without being qualified.

Last edited:
Either way it will be good experience. You can log the time if you are a current and qualified Part 135 SIC, even if the aircraft is only single-pilot. Some say the time is garbage, and shouldn't be logged, but its really a matter of personal preference like logging Level D sim time. This requires and a checkride after completing the carrier's training program. You will be issued an 8410.

Do a search on 135 SIC and you'll find a LOT of discussion on the subject. If the operation is a IFR passenger-carrying operation under Part 135, then an SIC is required by FAR (135.101). Most (if not all) operators are given Operations Specifications paragraph A015 giving approval for Use of Autopilot in Leiu of a Second-in-Command (see also 135.105).

NoPax is correct. The FAA's position is that you can't even touch the radios if you are not a certified SIC and will be considered a passenger. Insurance has nothing to do with the regs. You can of course log PIC on legs where you are sole manipulator (repositioning, maintenance, etc.)

Even if you couldn't log the time, the actual stick experience would likely be beneficial in improving your piloting skills and proficiency. This would come in handy when you actually have to prove yourself to an employer for hiring or upgrade. If there is some way to legally log it as PIC or SIC, great. If not, I wouldn't pass it up simply because of the opportunity to become a better pilot. I'm not advocating doing anything illegal "under the table", but if a PIC is willing to allow you to fly on 91 legs, go for it!

the "stick" experience will be logged as PIC time as long as you have a multi engine rating with high performance/altitude endorsements.

there is nothing much you can do with the 135 time in the scenario you explained...i would however put in your remarks section a description of what you did to assist.

TimsKeeper said:
the "stick" experience will be logged as PIC time as long as you have a multi engine rating with high performance/altitude endorsements.

You only need am ME rating to log PIC as sole manipulator. If you're going to ACT as PIC, then you will need the HP/Altitude endorsements.

Latest resources

Back