• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logging part 121 SIC time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For those of you that fly the CRJ, what do you list for aircraft type?...
Cl-65 or CRJ 200, CRJ 700, etc. ?

Mine is listed as "the 9"

I use "EB" indicating it is an Eapulets Backwards aircraft. The only confusion would be if I flew the Space Shuttle because I am sure the astronauts do that as well -- but since the program is winding down I am not too concerned.

Why not just put RJ POS - is there really any difference between the 200/700/900 ???

Well, other than you can wear your epaulets upside down if you fly the "-9"

:laugh:

Wow, aren't you witty! You managed to use all those catchy cliches in your profile and your post. +1.

I put who I flew the trip with in the remarks section. Makes recalling tell me a time when stuff much easier!

Why are you keeping a log of your flight time? I'm guessing it's because you might need to substantiate your flight time to get an ATP, type rating, or a job. I would keep a log that is consistent with the FARs and has columns appropriate for the jobs you seek. I have a column for turbine PIC. Obviously the FAA doesn't require me to log that time, but I knew ever prospective job would want to know how much I had. Thinking about applying to Emirates? They want to know how much time you have in aircraft that weigh over a certain amount. I know the line is between a CR2 and CR7. I log all my tail numbers. I Thought it might be a waste of time. It turns out, when I was applying to a job overseas, they wanted to know how much time I had I had in each variant, especially the NG. Thinking of applying to Southwest? If you get called in for an interview, they will expect a pile of LORs. When I've had the good fortune to interview at the majors, I've always asked my past captains to write me a letter. Some said, "sure, what were the dates we flew together?"

When I've had the good fortune to interview at the majors, I've always asked my past captains to write me a letter. Some said, "sure, what were the dates we flew together?"

I would imagine if you have a buddy that is willing to write you a recoomendation, they would know you pretty good. That's kind of strange for them to ask you when you flew together. Unless you're asking random CAs.

I would imagine if you have a buddy that is willing to write you a recoomendation, they would know you pretty good. That's kind of strange for them to ask you when you flew together. Unless you're asking random CAs.

When I interviewed at Southwest, I was told by a base chief pilot that he expected to see "15-20 letters from a pilot coming from Skywest." In order to get that many letters, I had to dig pretty deep. Some of the Southwest pilots I got in touch with had been there for a few years. It might have been *****5 years or more since we had flown together. *****Maybe they remember who I was, but they didn't remember actually flying with me. Maybe they wanted to double check their logbook to see if we experienced something significant together. I was at a wedding last summer with a lot of old flying buddies. One of them mentioned the 2 high speed aborts we did on a snowy morning, on a relatively short runway. I remember the aborts vividly, but I forgot who my FO was that day (it took place over 5 years ago). If I was going to write an LOR for this guy, I would want to include details from that day. Also, I was bases at one of the smaller domiciles. We had some pretty good Christmas parties and going away parties. Many of the pilots knew/know each other really well on a personal level. Just because you know someone that well personally, doesn't mean you remember that one flight you did together 3 years ago.*****

When you start applying and interviewing at the majors, I think you might find that you remember some of your captains better than they remember you. It's not uncommon to give a former captain the dates you flew together.*****

Latest resources

Back