• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logging of Level C or D Simulator Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hope I put an end to this. I went to Purdue and have around 120 hours in 727 sims, level A and C. In both of those instances you can only log it as simulator experience. That's how it is in my log book and it cannot be counted toward TT, multi-time, instrument time, just plain old sim time! Oh yeah, this also did come up on interviews I did have, for an internship with a major and at a regional! So it would be wise to know the airplane if you are gonna log it. Hope that helps clarify things.

Last edited:
According to FAR Part 61.1(b)(12), training time or dual given in an aircraft, sim or even an FTD is considered "pilot time".

I log sim and FTD dual time as part of my total pilot time according to this reg, but not as airplane, PIC, or ME time.

"Pilot Time" is not "FLIGHT TIME" as defined by FAR1!

Do you really think an extra 10-20 hours of total time you logged in the sim is going to help you get hired, considering how screwed you would be if I was interviewing you and I saw you adding your sim time to your total time?

On the other hand; it is YOUR logbook if you think 1720 hours looks better than 1700 hours, do it.

FTD as Total Time...and I thought sim time was beyond the pale. Come interview with my company, it'll be short.

The long and the short of it: It does not matter what the FAA says is legal or not. They are not going to hire you. And the 20 or 30 or 100 hrs of ftd/levelc/d/sim time is not the difference between being hired or not. No one that interviews wants to see anything but flying time in your total time nor do they want to see part 91 repo pic time as part of your pic total. If you did not sign for the airplane or it did not go in the air than dont use it as part of your total. Log it definitely but dont put it in your total time

I have flown a lot of sims, both as a private pilot and now as part of my airline training. I don't log any of it. I know, when you are new, every hour seems like a big deal, and you want your logbook to be as full as possible. Flying a professional type sim is very good experience, but as you can see, it is also controversial to log it. When you finally get that real flying job, you will laugh at yourself for being so concerned about a few hours in a sim. Do what you want, but I say keep it out of your logbook and there will be no questions about it. Better to keep something out that might hurt you, than to put something in that MIGHT help you. It's just not worth it. Good luck to you.

501261 said:
"Pilot Time" is not "FLIGHT TIME" as defined by FAR1!

Do you really think an extra 10-20 hours of total time you logged in the sim is going to help you get hired, considering how screwed you would be if I was interviewing you and I saw you adding your sim time to your total time?

On the other hand; it is YOUR logbook if you think 1720 hours looks better than 1700 hours, do it.

I don't know about your situation, but I am in a bind with insurance requirements for a job I just failed to get because I am 24 hours short on Instrument Time. I need 300 and have 276. The question I'm wondering is this:

If I have 35 hours of Instrument time in a Level "D" Simulator can I log that as "Simulated Instrument" in my logbook? If so, then I have the 300 hours required of me.

What a pain.

If the FAA certified the sim for C or D and allows type ratings and LOFTS then why not log it in any column you want that applies. The FAA has answered the question for you by the certification of the simm. As far as job interviews go I understand the first job is tough to get but don't have tunnel vision and remember you are a professional and if some book nerd Chief Pilot disqualifies you for logging what the Feds approved then is this really somebody you want to work for?

Latest resources

Back