logging level c sim

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

saviboy

could I, can I, should I , must I log Level C sim in my total time column or just in the simulator collumn

WMUSIGPI said:
Just the sim it's not total or multi or anything else just sim
I agree. But also log simulated instrument and approaches.

Actually simulated instrument is logged while in flight with a view limiting device (hood). Simulator time is logged only as such. Total, multiengine, night, instrument (actual or simulated), flight, PIC, SIC and cross country are not logged while 'flying' a simulator.

vclean said:
Actually simulated instrument is logged while in flight with a view limiting device (hood). Simulator time is logged only as such. Total, multiengine, night, instrument (actual or simulated), flight, PIC, SIC and cross country are not logged while 'flying' a simulator.
That's more of a logging preference than a rule (although the "hood" column that many logbooks have is a clue to the logbook publisher's preference).

Simulated instrument is logable for "Simulated instrument conditions in flight, a flight simulator, or a flight training device." [61.51(b)(3)(iii)]

So, theoretically, you can log your sim/FTD time in the simulated instrument column. The only difference is which way you end up calculating simulated instrument =flight= totals. So some folks include device time in the simulated instrument column and some don't. Both are correct - so long as the pilot is consistent in the methodology. When I do instrument training in a sim or FTD, I always ask the student how she does it so I don't mess up her logbook by doing something different.

Alot of this depends on what you are using the time for, and where the training took place at. Refer to 61.159(4,a), 142.1, and 121.400. You can apply up to 100 hours of sim time conducted under part 142 (training centers, ie. flight safety) towards an ATP as long as it was conducted for any of the reasons listed in 142.1. In most instances its good for time towards an ATP. This could turn out to be a debate, we will have to wait and see what everyone else says.

Last edited:
If you're doing the sim as part of training for a job, 121 or 135, I wouldn't even bother with it, unless you just want to remember that you flew the thing. "Simulated" time counts for squat in the real world; I don't even bother putting it on my resume anymore. If you're already in the 121/135 world, it's understood that you've already flown a bunch of simulated, and you'll have plenty of opportunity to gain "actual" time instead.

Now if you're a low time pilot working on a rating, I'd say go for it. Or if it's a kick-ass sim; I logged my EA-6B sim joyride in my logbook, even before I had a multi-engine rating or even any jet time. But I didn't bother to log the CR2, CR7 or DC-10 time, because nobody really cares about it at this stage of the game...

As a caveat, if you didn't log the required amount of approaches et cetera to maintain your 6 month currency during actual line flying, a)you're not working hard enough, and b) I'd go ahead and log the sim time during annual recurrents, just to keep the FAA happy. But seriously, if you can't find 6 approaches within 6 months on a 121/135 ticket, you're just not doing your job!

Latest resources

Back