logging landings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

slapstick

For currency, you have to be the sole manipulator in a takeoff or landing. But here's my issue...

As a CFI, you could argue that you should log all landings made by a student not rated in the aircraft since it's your butt on the line. But the Feds could argue that since you never touched the controls, your proficiency didn't improve a bit.

Personally, I log only the landings in which I felt that if I hadn't been there, something bad would've happened. This means that when acting as CFII or giving a biennial, I'll be logging PIC but will have a big fat "0" in the landings column. Kind of dumb-looking, I know.

What rule of thumb do you all go by?

Nothing in 14 CFR 61.51 (pilot logbooks) prohibits you from logging the landings so go right ahead. In fact that part does not mention logging of landings at all, and neither does 14 CFR 61.57 (recency of experience). Heck no where does it say that you have to log three landings in the last 90 days for currency, it just says you have to do them. Good luck convincing a fed that you did them if you didn't log 'em :).

As long as you don't count them for currency unless you are the sole manipulator of the controls then you will not get in trouble for logging them. Just be able to explain that you know they don't count for currency.

Hope that helped.

Skeezer

Skeezer,

That is not accurate. 61.57 sets forth the recency of experience requirements necessary to act as pilot in command. However, 61.51(a)(2) specifically sets forth a requirement that operations used to meet the recency of experience requirments be logged, and the language is given in the imperitive ("must").

Logging landings to show recency of experience is a requirement.

There is no purpose in logging landings which do not meet the requirements of 14 CFR 61.51, and associated paragraphs, as ammended. This is particularly the case when building up a logbook which will represent one's experience for career purposes.

Landings shuold be logged by the person who performed them, as sole manipulator. If you don't perform the landing, don't log it, period. You can certainly log anything you like but for uniformity, appearance, and conformity to the norm, one is best advised to refrain from logging landings one does not perform.

The ineptitude or need for attention on the part of a student does not alter this fact.

Avbug,

You are right, my bad. A minor brain fart on my part is responsible for that. I guess I shouldn't reply to messages at 2AM after getting back from a four day trip :)

Skeezer

Latest resources

Back