Logging instrument flight time - Non-flying-pilot Part 121

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

1013dot25hPa

I had a discussion with another crewmember about logging instrument flight time.

It is my believe that you can NOT log instrument flight time as a required cremember when you are acting as the non-flying-pilot regardless wheather you are the PIC or SIC.

Is my assumption correct?

It is my believe that you can NOT log instrument flight time as a required cremember when you are acting as the non-flying-pilot regardless wheather you are the PIC or SIC.

61.51(b) lists what you need to log. See 61.51(b)(3) in particular.

I'd target 61.51(g) myself...
(g) Logging instrument flight time. (1) A person may log instrument time only for that flight time when the person operates the aircraft solely by reference to instruments under actual or simulated instrument flight conditions. (2) An authorized instructor may log instrument time when conducting instrument flight instruction in actual instrument flight conditions.
I would say that "the person" who "operates the aircraft solely by reference to instruments" would be the PF...if it were all crewmembers, you wouldn't need paragraph (2) IMO.

Fly safe!

David

There's an FAA letter of interpretation that says you can log instrument time while the PNF of a 121 carrier. It says that you are operating the aircraft.

There's an FAA letter of interpretation that says you can log instrument time while the PNF of a 121 carrier. It says that you are operating the aircraft.
You have any reference? This question comes up weekly

Why should it matter if its part 91, 135, or 121 if the aircraft requires 2 to operate.

A quick search brings up about 30 threads about this with no conclusive outcome. Its about 50/50 from what i can tell.

I'd target 61.51(g) myself...

I would say that "the person" who "operates the aircraft solely by reference to instruments" would be the PF...if it were all crewmembers, you wouldn't need paragraph (2) IMO.

Fly safe!

David

The CFII may log actual as may the instrument student.

Both PF and PNF may log the "conditions of flight." This includes NIGHT and ACTUAL.

Is this your interpretation, or is this written somewhere? I never actually considered night and actual as being in the same category, but now that you mention it, it makes sense that you can log both as PNF.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back