Logging Flight Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bsh932

I am a new regional f/o and I am looking for advice on how to log time in my logbook. Do you do a seperate line for each flight or for each day? How do you log instrument time and approaches. When I go for interviews down the road what do they want to see? Any opinions or advice would be great.

First, I steal one of those little note pads from the hotel room, along with all of the available pens.

I then write my flight number on the bottom of the pad, attach it to the yoke to help me remember who I am when speaking with ATC, and at the end of the leg I write my flight time on it.

I repeat this all over again on another piece of the hotel scratch pad.

Do this for every leg for the entire month.

At the end of the month, I take a giant industrial strength stapler, and staple all of these little sheets of paper to the inside cover of that months Hustler, Playboy, Men's Health etc.

Then during your interview you can just pull out your stack of favorite magazines for the interview committee.

It worked for me.

On a serious note, I use an electronic flight log.

I have logbook pro and I log each flight separately on that program and print it out in a very clean and neat binder. I log it by the month in my hand written paper logbook, in case someone needs to see endorsements or just doesnt like the printed one.

Stifler's Mom said:
First, I steal one of those little note pads from the hotel room, along with all of the available pens.

I do the samething except I use the ACARS paper.

I log my time by tail#. Everytime I fly a different tail, I use a new line. ~instrument time and only log the approaches I fly (or push buttons for). I also write in the captain's name, flight# and trip#.

I've even heard people say they log the time by the month.

Just reference FAR Part 61. If you log it by that, it's legal and should be good for any interview.

eP.

Ditto logbook pro. I update the logbook at the end of the month by importing the CSV file from our companies online schedule. The only thing you need to do is keep track of IMC and approaches flown.

-Brett

It's easier to just make it up as you go along. If your next prospective employer wants 2000 hrs, then that's what you give him. 4000 hrs PIC; BAM...so be it!

Before all you panty bunchers get on my case...I'm just kidding. Day by day works for me, you can always put the legs in the remark column for each day.

Dont log instrument for every .006 for some wispy cloud you go through at FL 350 with the autopilot on. It's stupid and interviewers WILL pick up on it!

If people log one line for a month how do they log approaches? Also, how do you determine how much IMC, just estimate?

I log each flight. . .

just a personal preference. I keep track of my approaches and IMC time.

As far as estimating instrument time. . .I usually note that right away. I fly a turboprop so I find that I do log a lot of IMC from cruising in the lower flight levels.

Latest resources

Back