Logging 2nd in command as safety pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bernoulli

Have any of you logged second in command for being a safety pilot in an aircraft requiring only one pilot? It looks like 61.55a says you cant, but then there is an exception... (paragraph D, #4 of 61.55 which seems to say it's ok if "designated as a safety pilot for purposes required by 91.109(b)." Have any of you built time this way and is it legit in the eyes of future airline employers?

Knowing how screwed up the FAR's are I'm sure it’s legal to log SIC in a C150, just like its legal for 3 people to log PIC in an Aztec. Personally I'd much rather log the 3-way PIC than SIC in a C150, because it doesn't stick out nearly as bad.

Sure, under FAR 61.51(f.2) combined with 61.55(d.4) you can log SIC in a C150.

In the real world however, if I was looking to hire you, and saw C150 SIC time, I'd probably laugh you out the door. Seriously, if you went and logged time like this, I'd have to question all the other hours you logged, and quite frankly there are simply too many pilots out there that I don't have to question about the "quality" of hours logged!

If your gonna be a safety pilot and log it, at least get a CFI so that you can log it as dual given!

It's been a long time for me but from what I remember, I think as a safety pilot you can actually log PIC. You are rated (I hope) in the aircraft and required to be there. The pilot flying also logs PIC as "sole manipulator of the controls".

Bernoulli,

61.55 does not apply to single pilot aircraft. When simulated instrument conditions occur, a single pilot aircraft does not then come under 91.55 because its certificate does not change.

All the time logging answers are at DOC's.

Reaper, even old DOC says you can log SIC, see his example 12

FAR 61.55 d 4 does apply to single pilot airplanes!

Bernoulli, If you must log it then I suggest making a new column in your log book that is tiitled "safety pilot" and keep track of it but do not include it in any total. Likewise if you are logging sim time or ftd time, make a seperate column and log it but do not include it in total time either. Employers want your total time to represent the total time that you were flying the airplane or that you were a required crewmember because the airplane required it.....it will just make life easier at that first interview.

I'm kinda new at all of this, but looking at the regs, I see a dispute. 61.51 paragraph f does say that you must be qualified as per 61.55, but it says that they must be qualified AND occupy a crewmember station in an aircraft that requires more than one pilot by the aircraft's type certificate. Part (2) of f also says that more than one pilot must be required for the flight. I think it's pretty cut and dry from the word "AND" that SIC can only be logged for a flight that REQUIRES more than one crewmember. A 150 definately doesn't require more than one.
I just work here.:D

Like TAG2 said, I have always been under the impression that you can log this as PIC time. Why wouldn't you be able to?

eriknorth said:
I'm kinda new at all of this, but looking at the regs, I see a dispute. 61.51 paragraph f does say that you must be qualified as per 61.55, but it says that they must be qualified AND occupy a crewmember station in an aircraft that requires more than one pilot by the aircraft's type certificate. Part (2) of f also says that more than one pilot must be required for the flight. I think it's pretty cut and dry from the word "AND" that SIC can only be logged for a flight that REQUIRES more than one crewmember. A 150 definately doesn't require more than one.
I just work here.:D

91.109 says that a safety pilot is required. Therefore, the you are a required crewmember, even in a 150. - not required because of the type certificate, but because the FAR says that a safety pilot is required for the operartion.

All that being said, if you are rated in the category and class, I think you can log it PIC. 61.51 and 91.109 are operative here.

Latest resources

Back