• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logbook Pro

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You should only log xctry time for flights made over 50 nm. All others, leave the xctry time blank. It makes you logging experience less complicated.

The 50 nm requirement only applies to certain airman certification requirements. Logging cross country between two points is valid for those seeking 135 privileges for their first job...and logging cross country for flights of 50 nm that don't include a landing at a point other than the point of departure is also valid for one seeking the ATP.

Many who arrive at those two critical points (applying for ATP, and seeking that first 135 job) may not have all the cross country they need to fill the boxes if restricting themselves to only logging 50 nm flights between two points. Keeping track of all the time in all it's relevant forms is important to someone just starting out.

I've run Logbook Pro for years now. I am extremely pleased with the product.

Especially early in the game, every damn application you fill out will want a different set of minutia concerning your time. On top of that, every company has different requirements. Some will count Mil Helo time as Turb PIC, some won't. Southwest accepts Caravan time as Turb PIC, while most others don't. Logbook pro will crunch the numbers any way you want. You are going to be filling out a LOT of applications in the future and will definately make a mistake with a paper logbook. I can't wait to upgrade my cell phone so I can run the PDA sync.

The 50 nm requirement only applies to certain airman certification requirements. Logging cross country between two points is valid for those seeking 135 privileges for their first job...and logging cross country for flights of 50 nm that don't include a landing at a point other than the point of departure is also valid for one seeking the ATP.

If you have landings at two different airports less then 50nm logged in your logbook, then there is no need to log xtry :rolleyes:. Just filter your logbook for this information.

If you have landings at two different airports less then 50nm logged in your logbook, then there is no need to log xtry

Actually, there is. Cross country need not be more than 50 nm.

Why would you need to log xctry for flights less then 50 nm? (aside for applying for a job, IMO, is not necessary)

See previous posts; already asked and answered.

However, as you didn't get it before, let's try again.

For the new pilot seeking his or her first 135 job under VFR, 100 hours of cross country is required. For IFR, 500 hours of cross country. It's very possible that many applicants who have been flight instructing, flying skydivers, doing tours, or other things to get to their requisite 500 or 1,200 hours for that first job...won't have 100 or 500 hours of cross country time if they simply use the 50 nm rule.

For the pilot needing to meet the qualifications of 14 CFR 135.243(b)(2) or (c)(2), then the cross country definition provided under 61.1(b)(3)(i) applies. This means demonstrating cross country flying not beyond 50 nm but simply between two points with a landing at a point other than the point of departure, and involving some form of navigation.

On the other hand, for the individual seeking his ATP, the cross country provision of 61.1(b)(3)(vi)(b). This means that a point other than a point of landing isn't required...but a straight-line distance greater than 50 nm is.

Depending on one's particular requirements, then the classification and applicability of the time logged change. Certainly there exists a valid reason to log cross country time when the distance does not exceed 50 nm. Do you understand this?

Sounds good to me!! I have it logged under two columns (xc, xc greater then 50nm) in the written log book. Later on, I'll be seeking my ATP so I will log the XC >50nm for that.

Latest resources

Back