Logbook in your flight bag

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

eriknorth

I have a Jepp pro logbook and I'm looking to get a Cencal Yankee flight bag. Any of you know if the logbook fits in the flight bag? I will probably have to order the flight bag online, so I'd hate to have to send it back if the logbook doesn't fit. I do have a Cencal logbook cover as well, but that doesn't add too much to the size of it. Thanks for the heads up! Also, any thoughts on that mic light that mounts to your boom mic?
-eriknorth

log book

Fits but a little tight ,takes a while for the bag to get use to the log book ehehehhehehe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:cool:

A military friend of mine scored me one of the mic lights. He mounted it on my DCs and it works great. Puts a nice green glow on the panel wherever you look.

Now, if I could just get those NVGs to work.

logbook in flightbag bad idea

Why would you want to carry your logbook in your flightbag? Your inviting prying eyes of the feds and also if you go down so does your logbook. Keep your logbook at home or at the very least in the trunk of your car.

Logbooks in flight bags?

There is no way I would carry my logbook in my flight bag, or even in my car. Several years ago my car was stolen from a mall parking lot after I had been at the airport all day. Goodbye headsets (replaceable), goodbye logbook (not replaceable). At the time it wasn't that such a big deal - I had just gotten my instrument ticket and had a copy of the rating application with the times on it, so it was easy enough to recreate. The only thing I lost was the memories of and remarks applicable to specific flights.

However, last year one of my fellow pilots (typed on DC3 and DA20) lost his logbook when his car was stolen. A few thousand hours of time will be much harder to recreate, not to mention all the personal notes in the remarks column.

No way, under any circumstances will I ever carry my logbook with me unless I am taking it to obtain a specific endorsement or sign-off. It stays put away at home, and every month or so I copy the info from my little red pocket-sized logbook into the big Jepp Pro Pilot book.

However, if you're gonna carry it, I hope it fits in your new bag.

"Sweet. Is it permanently mounted to the headset? Does it get in the way at all?"

It is sort of permanently mounted to the headset. This guy did a custom job for me. The battery pouch is sown into the headband and the light is attached to the bottom of the mic with two zip fasteners. There is also a custom boom for the headset that he installed but I think the regular DC boom would work fine

I love flying at night with it. It is kind of an erie green glow. No more fumbling for the flashlight in the cockpit.

By the way, I keep the logbook at home and it only comes out to play if I need an endorsement or for a checkride.

Yeah, i agree with you guys on the log book. I'm actually looking into a small safe to keep the logbook and other important documents in. But as a student, I will need the logbook for endorsements and such, and there will be times as I'm sure you all know, that I will need to have it (I wont bother elaborating). It might seem trivial, but if I'm gonna take it with me, I want it to fit in the flight bag. Theres a better chance of losing it if its another piece of luggage on me. Thanks for the input!

Got one of those mike lights for Christmas. Looks like it could be creatively mounted with a combination of sticky-backed (battery and light) and 2-sided (cable) velcro so you could take it off when not needed. Here's hoping...

Lance

Latest resources

Back