Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Midnight Flyer

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I'm getting my logbook ready for an interview. I'm several years behind, and have lots of catching up to do.

There are numerous columns that I don't use in my logbook. I have been on large jet equipment the last 12 years, so all my recent time I just add in the airplane MEL turbojet column and the PIC column.
However, someone just told me that I should also be logging all these flights in the cross country column, and also in the airplane multi-engine land column. Is it really necessary to log my airline flights in the xcountry and airplane MEL column as well asthe MEL turbojet collumn?

I've always thought that it isn't necessary to do that at this level of aviation since it's obvious that all my flights are xcountry.

Also, do airlines (Legacy's) ask to see your little red book or do they just want your master logbook?

MF

Personally, I would say that the important thing is for your totals to be accurate and match your application. I think I would still keep up the MEL and Turbojet columns. If I was several years behind in my logbook, I would switch to an electronic version. I quit filling out a paper logbook about 5 years ago. Good luck in the interview.

Thanks KSU/RegionalCapt,

Fill out all columns? So for example if I'm a long haul 747 pilot, I still need to be adding my airline time to my cross country column? I was under the impression that at this stage of aviation, adding my flights to the Xcountry column was unnecessary. My understanding was that Xcountry was created by the FAA to ensure that young pilots had the required hours outside of the traffic pattern (50nm) so that they will qualify for their ratings.

How many of you add your jet time in the TurboJet MEL column and also in the regular MEL column. I haven't added anything to my regular MEL column since I flew light twins back in the early 90's.

thanks again

If there is a column for it. Fill it in.

Is 747 time Multi engine time? Yes.
Is it Turbine time? Yes.
Is it cross country time? Yes.

I was under the impression that at this stage of aviation, adding my flights to the Xcountry column was unnecessary.
If that were the case, then at this stage of aviation, the logbook itself would be unnecessary. The thing is, the logbook review portion on an interview is NOT about flight time. They know all of that from your resume.

It's a chance for them to see how someone they are considering hiring will treat the paperwork (Aircraft logbooks, releases, training documents, etc....) that will be audited by the Feds. You can believe that attention to detail will be at the top of the list.

While I agree with you in principle, these are not the battles you want to fight in an interview when you could avoid them by simply filling out your logbook completely.

At any job interview, you will be required to fill out several different forms and place your name on each and every one of them, just to watch them all be put in the same folder with your name on it as well. It would be lunacy to stand up and say "At this stage of the interview, you know who I am, so I'm just going to put my name on the top page and not take the time to fill out the rest of the paperwork completely."
Your logbook is no different.

Is a few hours of your time worth losing a job in the long run? I've done some interviewing in my day, and one thing I can tell you is that when someone has half-ass paperwork....everyone at the table has "this guy is half-ass" as their starting point. Before he even enters the room, he's a half-ass. The next guy has his paperwork proper and everyone at the table has "this guy has his $hit together" as their starting point. Which guy do you want to be going through that door? It's entirely up to you.

Please understand that I'm not trying to bust your balls or be a dick about it. Leaving the columns blank will probably not cost you the job. The cardinal rule for a job interview is for you to make it as easy on them to hire you as you can. Having to explain incomplete logbooks makes it harder on them. If everything else is good. No problem. What you want to avoid is fumbling on a couple other things and they have to make a decision with this as the proverbial straw.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
I know that there are people that have shoddy logbooks and get hired. I know that there is more to an interview than a logbook.

However, your logbook is one thing you can control BEFORE you ever show up and not doing so speaks volumes to an interviewer. Do not minimize the importance of things you can control before you even show up.

If I'm looking to hire you and you've got a sloppy logbook, sloppy application, sloppy attire...........not good. If it comes down to two candidates and one has an incomplete logbook and the other took the time to fill it out completely? You know who's getting the job.

An interviewee must equate a incomplete, sloppy logbook with showing up to the interview with two day beard stubble. Nobody will every argue that your facial hair has any effect whatsoever on your ability, dedication, or skill as a pilot. It does, however, broadcast to the world how seriously you are taking this job interview.

Just to point out one more positive thing about switching to an electronic logbook. You can set it up so that it auto fills the appropriate columns based on the type of aircraft. It is great for filling out applications too because you can sort whatever time is being asked. You don't want to look sloppy or unorganized. Do whatever you can to look as professional as possible going into an interview.

I've never been asked for a little red book at any interview. That's good, because I've never used them!

NO LITTLE RED BOOK!!! You're gonna be up a creek when Netjets runs out of steam!!:laugh:

Disclaimer: I've never used one either and I hope NJA doesn't run out of steam!! I need my job back!!

Latest resources

Back