Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

eriknorth

Hi Everyone,
As you might have read earlier from my posts about my logbook, my perfectionist tendencies are shining through once more. I have two questions:

1. On the second or third page of my logbook, there is a page for "Flight proficiency and medical certificate history." There are six columns, each labeled Flight review, cfi renewal, medical certificate, remarks, etc. I got my First Class medical/student pilot certificate the other day. Should I put the number of that certificate under the medical certificate column and that it is first class in the remarks? What goes there? Any of you with the Jepp Pro logbook will probably know what I am talking about.

2. I would like to make a checklist on my own and do it up to where I can read it easily and it has all of the information on it that I need. I am flying a PA 28-151, but all of the checklists that I can find online or whatever are for the 161. How different are the two checklists?

Thank you for your time.

151 vs 161

I am not personally sure of the differences between the 151 and 161, but (I think) I have two pretty good checklists (normal and emergency) for the 161. An easy way to find out the diferences is to take a 161 POH (or checklist) and a 151 checklist or POH and just look through for the differences. I would imagine there are not too many of them. If you like I can fax you my checklists.

Ali

I'll PM you about a beautiful checklist in three parts in MS-Word format.

Remember, any checklist that you create must contain (at minimum) the elements in the POH version of the checklist. You may embellish the checklist, but you must not detract.

The checklists are copyrighted by yours truly and are not for distribution.

Erik

Put whatever you like in the log; it's your log. Make it personal. Certificate number and date are fine. Comments are fine. Whatever you like. It's your logbook.

Your checklist can be compiled from the aircraft flight manual. Look in the expanded section, or just use the checklist information as it's presented in normal proceedures, emergency proceedures, etc. Think about what needs to be done on each phase of the flight, and then compile it into a neat and meaningful order.

Some people like to arrange their checks by numonics; GUMPS, CIGARTIPS, etc. Some like to arrange it by flowcheck; list the items to be done in the same manner they'd be done by flowing from left to right, top to bottom, etc. Some people just don't care. Whatever works for you.

Add in a few things that are personal. If you forget to start your time at takeoff as a rule, then add it in the checklist as the last item on the line-up checklist. Whatever. There are no hard fast rules. Make it meaningful, useful, and something that's easy to refer to without drawing your attention from the imporant duty of managing the airplane.

Logbooks

I know exactly what you're talking about. I have Jepp Pro logbooks, too. It's on Page 3. Al I've ever done is put the date of my medicals in the fifth column and the class of medical in the "remarks" column. But, as Avbug said, it's your logbook; write in what you want.

Be sure you include, as a minimum, the same items as Piper uses in its checklists. I like the idea of seting it up according to a flow. You'll use flows as you progress in your flying career. I never heard of the term before I went to work at ERAU. I learned the flows, and found out later that our Riddle flows were very close to what Horizon used. So, that was good training we were giving our students.

Good luck with your training.

Thanks for the info guys. Ali, I would love for you to fax them to me. Let me get back with you on Tuesday when I get back to work, and I'll let you know my fax number. If you like, you can PM me your email address and I'll shoot you a line when I know it. Tarp, I did not recieve your PM. Maybe the attachment was too large or something. PM me about it and we can figure out how to get it. I would really like a copy. Also, where can I get a POH for my aircraft? I would like to be able to have a copy to study and everything. Again, thanks a lot.
-eriknorth

PM and email stuff done!

POH - if your FBO doesn't have one, you can get from many on the web, call Piper and ask where their local "dealer" is in your area. They will usually ship you one (for cost and shipping, of course) within a couple of days. Remember, to include the year and specific model. For example: 1978 PA28-161. For some airplanes you may have to know serial number or date of manufacture to get the proper POH. For example, most Pipers changed from "Hershey bar wings" to the laminar flow variety around 1976. There is a big difference between a 1976 PA28-180 and a 1976 PA28-181.

Happy flying!

Latest resources

Back