Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Booker

The Ladies Man
As you can see from my profile, I'm a CFI with about 700 hours. I'm almost ready to start a new logbook, and I'm wondering if I should continue logging complex and high performance time. To me, it's just two more columns to total. I know I can always add it in later if need be, but short of insurance requirements, I don't know of a reason for why I should continue logging it. Any other opinions?

Thanks! :cool:

Not that I should be a model for what to log or not log, but I stopped logging it long ago - right around the time I met the typical insurance requirements for both compex and HP minimums. If for some very strange reason I need current numbers, I'll just go through and calculate it - but I can't imagine that'll happen anymore. Maybe if I buy a plane and have to insure it myself or something...

I would highly suggest that you continue to log this time regardless if it is taking up additional space or not... I have noticed that this has been asked of me on several occasions, by my current company that I instruct at very part time for insurance papers that we must file every six months, additional flight schools where I have gotten checked out in complex and or high performance aircraft and it is my opinion that it is much much easier to have a running total and have that information at your finger tips whenever you may need it versus having to go back over several pages and add up the times when you may be binded by time. Is it a must.?? Surely not but I have found this to be in "my" best interest and save me time when I have been asked for a few totals for check outs and exact totals per make and models-

I use the Jepp. professional log and have found that there is more than enough room to add in these columns- I have even taken another column to add "Turbine PIC time" for all the 91 legs that we fly and I partly attribute this to being insured as captain at a relatively lower TT than our insurance company originally wanted to see.. Use every column that you can that may benefit you down the line, especially in today's market.

just my $.02

3 5 0

It's really a personal choice. There may be insurance issues that you want to meet, in which case 350Driver is absolutely right.

Do you continue to log cross country time even though you've met even ATP requirements?

Of course, an electronic log might be the answer. I got rid of the complex column (never had a high-performance one) as soon as I started using one, but I can give you either total at the push of a button.

Latest resources

Back