• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Locking on the Ramp

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I lock it when I it was my leg. Youknowwho doesn't. I get hell when we have to pull out the keys to unlock to depart after my leg. YKW says, pointing to all the other jets on the ramp; "Every last airplane here is open, what are you talking about?"
A written directive from the TSA or an official report of fines might help my case.
I think it truly possible a jet could be stolen from a lot of these places.

I lock it when I it was my leg. Youknowwho doesn't. I get hell when we have to pull out the keys to unlock to depart after my leg. YKW says, pointing to all the other jets on the ramp; "Every last airplane here is open, what are you talking about?"
A written directive from the TSA or an official report of fines might help my case.
I think it truly possible a jet could be stolen from a lot of these places.

Do you remember this retard?
http://www.news4jax.com/news/5100473/detail.html?subid=22100425&qs=1;bp=t

It's not so much the fact of stealing the aircraft but it would be easy for someone to stick an explosive device in the cabin or baggage area. That scenario scares me more.

Pilot remains grounded in county custody

By LATEEF MUNGIN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/22/07

Remember the young man who was arrested for allegedly stealing a million dollar jet and landing it in Gwinnett?

Gwinnett Sheriff Butch Conway remembers him. In fact, Conway says he can't get rid of him.

Since Daniel Andrew Wolcott's now infamous 2005 plane joy ride, the 23-year-old Buford man has remained in Gwinnett custody, even though he faces federal charges.

Wolcott's stay in local custody, now more than 15 months, has cost Gwinnett taxpayers close to $20,000, Conway said.

Wolcott has remained in jail in lieu of a $175,000 bond.

"We are just not supposed to be housing him," Conway said. "And when I call the FBI, I cannot get any answers. And are they going to pay us back for the money we spent to house him? I bet not."

Gwinnett District Attorney Danny Porter said he has agreed that he will drop charges against Wolcott and will allow the U.S. attorney's office in Jacksonville to prosecute him on charges of interstate transportation of a stolen aircraft.

U.S. Marshal Richard Mecum said his office usually moves an inmate from a county jail to a federal facility if the suspect is being prosecuted by a federal agency.

Mecum, who works in the Atlanta office, said he did not know why Wolcott had not been moved.

Steve Cole, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office in Jacksonville, and Wolcott's attorney, Walt Britt, expect him to be transferred to federal custody soon.

The case dates back to October 2005, when a pricey corporate jet mysteriously popped up at Gwinnett County Airport/Briscoe Field, setting off a flurry of speculation and worry that would not have happened before Sept. 11, 2001.

The plane was discovered on a Monday morning, and officials didn't learn how it got there until Wednesday.

Those who know Andrew Wolcott, who goes by his middle name, say he is a gifted pilot who worked on contract flights for companies.

On Oct. 8, 2005, Wolcott was in St. Augustine, Fla., with his father, Scott, who also is a pilot. The two were scheduled to pilot separate corporate flights the next day, Scott Wolcott said in a 2005 interview.

But that night, authorities said, the younger Wolcott took an unscheduled flight.

Wolcott flew away in a $7 million Cessna Citation VII from the St. Augustine airport. Wolcott flew the plane about 400 miles and landed at Gwinnett's airport off Ga. 316 in Lawrenceville, authorities said.

Wolcott, who grew up in Gwinnett and went to Dacula High School, then called up five of his friends and treated them on a 15-mile jaunt to Winder and back on the luxury jet, authorities said.

The passengers did not know the plane was stolen, authorities said.

Once back at the airport, Wolcott and his friends left the plane. Wolcott then went back to work, taking a commercial flight back to Florida, authorities said. He flew back on the original flight he was supposed to pilot from St. Augustine.

But by then authorities had found the plane at the airport. Gwinnett and federal authorities wanted answers.

They got them on Wednesday of that week, when Wolcott's friends came forward to tell police they had ridden on the plane but did not know it was stolen.

Wolcott then turned himself in.

Matt Smith, manager of the Gwinnett airport, said the incident caused him to change security at the facility.

"Because of that we implemented a new airport security plan," Smith said. "I really can't go into detail about the plan, but that incident caused us to make some changes."

Wolcott made headlines again in 2006 when a feud over dental floss between his parents and Conway became public.

Wolcott's parent's were demanding that Wolcott be allowed to receive floss at the jail, but the sheriff objected because of security reasons.

Wolcott's parents objected when Conway then tried to remedy the dental situation by moving Wolcott to a jail cell with dentist and accused murderer Barton Corbin.

That move began a series of scorching e-mails from Wolcott's father that still continues, Conway said.

Conway said he recently moved Wolcott out of the Gwinnett jail to the DeKalb County jail because of "security reasons." But Wolcott is still technically in Gwinnett County custody, Conway said.

"I just want to get an answer as to when he will be picked up," said Conway.

"He was supposed to be moved a long time ago, and this is a waste of taxpayer money."

Ok, so for all you locking fanatics, the "anytime the plane is out of our view" deal seems a bit ridiculous. Two questions, first, is it locked when the APU is running and you're well out of view in the fbo?

Second, do all of you guys also lock the emergency exit? And for those of you that do, how many have forgotten to unlock said exit? Be honest! :D

Ok, so for all you locking fanatics, the "anytime the plane is out of our view" deal seems a bit ridiculous. Two questions, first, is it locked when the APU is running and you're well out of view in the fbo?

Second, do all of you guys also lock the emergency exit? And for those of you that do, how many have forgotten to unlock said exit? Be honest! :D

I'm not sure about your operation but we never leave an aircraft unattended with an APU running...maybe it's just us.

Latest resources

Back