• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Loading Cargo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Doing Fedex Feeders you are not required to load the aircraft. When I was flying Feeders is was expressly forbidden to do any loading. The rationale was that you might put your back out or otherwise become hurt or disabled and the flight would not be able to depart on time.

Now I have done a lot of loading otherwise. The 900# truck transmissions come to mind. That's where I learned about Skates and J-Bars. Just remember not to get your hand pinched between the handle of the J-Bar and the roof of the fuselage. There is not a lot of room in the Metro!

Worst loose load I ever had was 120 mini vans tailpipes, 10' long, multiple hangers and brackets that locked they together after them were stacked in the back of the DA-20. Took almost 1/2 hour to untangle them, however I did get paid for that one.

hoover said:
Are cargo pilots expected to load and unload their own freight? Do they get paid extra to do so?

In mexico they jump in there and get that thing loaded faster than you can go bueno

I shoulda asked the owner of my old DC-3 outfit that question. He always loved a good laugh.

Worst load? 3 crates of oven glass for Magic Chef ovens. The crates were to flimsy to be moved with the winch and the j-bar wouldn't budge 'em. The full nose down end of the trim cable got excercised, though.

Some companies won't allow you to unload freight because they pay their disability and workers comp premiums based on the classification of pilot, not freight handler, and the insurer may not pay the claim.

It depends on the company you work for if you get paid or not. At my last employer I didnt, my current one I do.

From my days as an on demand part 135 fr8dog....if you don't do what it takes to get the job done...you didn't last that long. The job is what it is. It is no place to stay for your whole career (in my opinion...and I am speaking of on-demand part 135 fr8) but it does allow a lot of guys/gals the opportunity to gain experience they would otherwise not have gotten.
Loading cargo is part of the job. I don't know how other places are but at Cherry Air I was told up front about the specific things....good and bad....that were expected of me. Do your homework before you accept a job and you will know if you are going to have to do something you don't want to do.

"You load sixteen tons, whatta you get, another day older and further in debt..."

Latest resources

Back