LNAV/VNAV minimums setting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wahoo250

Quick question I cant seem to find the answer written anywhere. When shooting an LNAV/VNAV aproach do you guys set airport elevation or 0' in the window? Is this a written rule to follow to set airport elevation? Or is is it for the missed aproach so you arent spinning up the altitude bug for 10 minutes if at a high altitude airport and executing a missed aproach?

Quick question I cant seem to find the answer written anywhere. When shooting an LNAV/VNAV aproach do you guys set airport elevation or 0' in the window? Is this a written rule to follow to set airport elevation? Or is is it for the missed aproach so you arent spinning up the altitude bug for 10 minutes if at a high altitude airport and executing a missed aproach?
It may vary by company. I know one major airline uses zero. Set to zero when certain parameters are met once on final.

We refer to this just as an RNAV or GPS approach, and set the charted missed approach altitude.

If you set missed aproach altitude and arm vnav, you will never get the airplane to decend to the DH...at least in the GV. I think you guys have the updated software that allows you to set a dh and still set a missed approach altitude...like an ILS. I was told it was an FAR to set DH. I didnt think it was and have been trying to find it... Im guessing the parameters that you are speaking of are the FMS going to aproach mode once near the FAF...thanks for the replies

Last edited:
Same at QX. We set the dirt rounded up to the hundred, then when the 1000 to go chime hits we set missed approach.

On the 737, I've done "dial the dirt" and now it's set the DH/MDA 3-5 miles from FAF and then 300' below missed, set missed app alt.

Dial the dirt works much better, IMHO. It's nice to have the green banana on the rwy.

It's a reg only in the sense that there is a reg that says to follow your manual.

Latest resources

Back