Little Help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AvJunke

I have been out of the industry for five years and am considering getting re-current and back in the game. My professional obligations don't permit the time to perform the exhaustive research necessary to investigate who the "better regionals" are today. If anyone is willing to provide some sincere, big boy/big girl feedback, regarding which carriers currently offer the best quality of life and which are experiencing the most growth, I would be sincerely appreciative. From what little I know, I would guess that SkyWest is best for quality of life and that Compass or GoJets offer the quickest movement. Is that wrong? Thanks.

None they all suck or will suck in the future.

Don't come back!

If you refuse to listen work for the company that has a base where you live, are willing to move to or very close by.

Yeah I sound bitter but my advice is sound. I would never recommend anyone returning to 121 flying or pursuing a career in it today.

Go to Eagle and collect the signing bonus. :)

I'm not trying to be a smart A about this but in all honesty if you have been doing something else for the last 5 years, I'd stick with it.

This regional industry sucks in it's present state, and I don't see it getting any better.

If anything, wait a couple of years and try to go direct to a legacy carrier?

Spend the money you have for flight currency, on crack cocaine, rent a house near a Jr High School and make a more honest living peddling your wares. Come to SKYW and spend the next 3 years on reserve not flying the EMB120 at 23.00 x 75 hour monthly guarantee. If you gotta fly, run dope, the hours are better and you can afford to feed your cat.....

So ur saying its not a good career move then? I'm in corporate now so I should stay here then? Seriously asking the question!!!

Well, I have to admit I appreciate the candor and humor. I was in the same place in 2009 when I bailed, but am flirting with the idea of trying to get back in and do both. May not be realistic, but worth exploring. Thanks.

GoJets 10 days off on reserve sounds great!

SureJet - 11-12 woohoo

Mesa - is it still 8 days off on reserve?

Republic - no pay for cancellations. Great if you fly the Q400

SkyWest - the golden child of the skies. Go there. There is no union to impede your growth as an aviator and kind a decent human being. Besides you will get to fly a brand new E170 or Mitsubishi Super Jet soon. Neat!

Eagle - will shrink if they take a stand and won't whore themselves out.

Flame away!!!! I'm bored waiting for my delayed flight.

Spend the money you have for flight currency, on crack cocaine, rent a house near a Jr High School and make a more honest living peddling your wares. Come to SKYW and spend the next 3 years on reserve not flying the EMB120 at 23.00 x 75 hour monthly guarantee. If you gotta fly, run dope, the hours are better and you can afford to feed your cat.....

I believe we have a winner.

I have been out of the industry for five years and am considering getting re-current and back in the game. My professional obligations don't permit the time to perform the exhaustive research necessary to investigate who the "better regionals" are today. If anyone is willing to provide some sincere, big boy/big girl feedback, regarding which carriers currently offer the best quality of life and which are experiencing the most growth, I would be sincerely appreciative. From what little I know, I would guess that SkyWest is best for quality of life and that Compass or GoJets offer the quickest movement. Is that wrong? Thanks.

My Fractional (Avantair) just tanked, and with bills to pay I had to make a quick decision.

I chose to go to Trans States. Training starts in a few weeks. Did this based on:
*16-18 month upgrade
*No reserve at the IAD base. (Hold a line straight out of training!)
*Quick two hour, one leg commute from ALB.

The longer-term reasons? Trans States Holdings is in pretty good shape financially. They've got some MRJ's coming 2017-ish. Growth is a good sign of job security. Having the doors slam shut on me while I was on vacation SUCKED!

Hope this helps you with your decision-making process. :beer:

edit to add: First year pay is first year pay. That's about all I can say about that. Hopefully it doesn't weigh too heavily when making your decision...

Last edited:
My Fractional (Avantair) just tanked, and with bills to pay I had to make a quick decision.

I chose to go to Trans States. Training starts in a few weeks. Did this based on:
*16-18 month upgrade
*No reserve at the IAD base. (Hold a line straight out of training!)
*Quick two hour, one leg commute from ALB.

The longer-term reasons? Trans States Holdings is in pretty good shape financially. They've got some MRJ's coming 2017-ish. Growth is a good sign of job security. Having the doors slam shut on me while I was on vacation SUCKED!

Hope this helps you with your decision-making process. :beer:

edit to add: First year pay is first year pay. That's about all I can say about that. Hopefully it doesn't weigh too heavily when making your decision...

That is news to me that Avantair tanked. Sorry to hear that.

I say you would do best at Compass. But that is only if you got your 1500 and an ATP. If you want to know why PM me cuz once we start banter on here every one will flame, cry, and moan.

Latest resources

Back