• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

line up and wait ...!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Slowly but surely we are headed towards using ICAO standards in the US... I already see it in the Data Link that we are using in Oceanic. All clearences are pre formatted and they are in ICAO format. Also... over the Atlantic we use Flight levels all the way down to FL050.

Sphrynxlla - The UL or UN routes out by the land falls of Europe (Bedra-Gunso, etc.) ... I clear A/C on their oceanics by saying Uniform November but many pilots read back Upper... you also see that with the routes in the Atlantic, in ATC many of us still refer to them as colored routes (A300 as Amber 300) but many pilots will use Alpha. I know... it gets confusing...

Ahhh Europe.. QDM, QDR, QFE bla bla bla.. Got to love flying in the US!

yeah i use colored routes somtimes thats fun!

but a lot of european controls do not say Uniform Lima, they read upper lima or uper november... but not US controlers they say uniform....i am confused

As in many other things in the world "line up and wait" is used everywhere but here in the U.S. WE do what we want because we do what we want to do. Incidently in the U.S. there are more landings and takeoffs of aircraft in one day than in a complete day in the rest of the world.

The sad thing is the U.S. was the primary founder of ICAO and set much of the standards, yet insist on not following it. Embarrassing, really.

my friend's dad who flies 777's said they say "line up and wait" everywhere else in the world. the US is the only place where you hear "taxi into position and hold".
Actually that is not true, in Taiwan they still use U.S. phraseology, although that may have changed since I last flew there in 98. I remember one day in Kaohsiung Dragonair was "cleared into position and hold ". There was a slight pause and then he asked what that meant, I clicked the mike and said it meant, " line up and wait ", which he promptly did.

Typhoonpilot

I kind of like "line up and wait". The reason is; I have heard confusion between aircraft being told to "hold in position" (meaning hold in your present position) and "position and hold" (meaning taxi into position and hold).

Pull & Rotate said:
I kind of like "line up and wait". The reason is; I have heard confusion between aircraft being told to "hold in position" (meaning hold in your present position) and "position and hold" (meaning taxi into position and hold).
I think a guy working tower here sometimes confuses the two.

"Cessna 123 hold in position"
"Hold position, 123"
*a few minutes pass*
"Cessna 123 are you going to position and hold or not?"
"uh...."

it can make for a very confusing takeoff, departure, whatever he wants to call it...

-mini

FWIW, ICAO made the change from "Line Up and Hold" to "Line Up and Wait" because, in less than perfect conditions, "Line Up and Hold" can (and has been) misunderstood to mean "Line Up and GO". I operate to many US and foreign ports and I prefer the less ambiguous "wait", thanks.

Incidently in the U.S. there are more landings and takeoffs of aircraft in one day than in a complete day in the rest of the world.
Are you sure?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back