line up and wait ...!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
satpak77 said:
"Flight Level Zero six zero" (6000 feet)
In the US, Canada, and a few other countries, we transition into the flight levels at 18,000'. In the rest of the world, it varies, but the transition levels/altitutes are much lower. "Flight Level 060" is a legitimate call in most of the world.

'Sled

I think the U.S. should change to ICAO standard. U.S. language is not only less concise, but having a different set of terminology is inane when you have non-U.S. carriers flying into the country. ICAO terminology is easy to understand if you're a native English speaker, while the converse is not true. Just a few terminology differences and meanings that need to be learned (such as the actual meaning of "level").

Can't count the number of times I mashed the "Ident" button on the transponder in Canada before I realized that when ATC said "Identified" they actually meant "Radar Contact"....

Ooops!

Another difference in procedure in Canada- I'm not sure how many other countries do it.
Tower will switch you to departure control before you start your takeoff roll i.e. "Flight 123, contact Departure 132.4, runway eight cleared for takeoff". The tower doesn't expect to talk to you again once you are airborne unless you want to come back to the airport.

Didn't ICAO recently change the phraseology for TIPH? I think it used to be something like "Taxi into takeoff position" and they changed it to remove the word "takeoff".

Flight Level 060 may also be used here in Canada. In Canada, airspace is divided into 2 large areas- the Southern Domestic and the Northern Domestic airspace. If you operate in the NDA, all your altitudes are considered flight levels, since it is part of the Std Pressure Region. This airspace is generally found 60-65 degrees North Latitude.

staledog said:
my friend's dad who flies 777's said they say "line up and wait" everywhere else in the world. the US is the only place where you hear "taxi into position and hold".

Well, just for the record, the correct phraseolgy is not "Taxi into position and hold." The FAA removed the "TAXI INTO." Now the correct phraseology is just "position and hold." Not that it really matters.

International Phraesology takes a while to get used to. Here is some stuff I have heard on trips...

"Line up and wait"
"Passing level?" (Instead of say altitude)
"Back Track" ( instead of back taxi)
"Set QNH" ( altimeter that will give you msl reading) used below transition level

"Set QNE" (altimeter setting that will give you pressure altitude) used above transition altitude

"Charlie Charlie" (mainly used on HF radio.. same as affirmative or correct)

and my favorite is Russian flying...... everything is in meters for altitude
"climb and maintain fl 9000 meters, report maintaining"

What I HATE about flying in europe is their procedure for clearing you to taxi to the runway.....and then they wont give you your ifr clearance until you are cleared for takeoff!!! That is a pain when you are going on a long trip...like Crotone, Italy to Keflavik iceland

Sphrynxlla said:
What I HATE about flying in europe is their procedure for clearing you to taxi to the runway.....and then they wont give you your ifr clearance until you are cleared for takeoff!!! That is a pain when you are going on a long trip...like Crotone, Italy to Keflavik iceland
ouch...so what do you do when you get a full route clearance when cleared for takeoff?

That's gotta be sh*tty

it is not uncommon at all to get a full re route clearance when lining up and waiting : ) .... it reallly sucks! b/c their airways can be very complex compaired to j routes...especially when your trying to load them in an ancient gps..... they use an "upper" identification for jet airways (above the transition altitude) such as UL316 is read as Upper Lima 316. Plus you deal with french people. i hate doing that, they are jerks most of the time and make no effort to help you in the pronounciation of some new intersection you have to go to.

"N65PG proceed direct Tcwwweejua...flight plan roooooot"

im like, ok...and how would i spell teckekewjeeua.....

jbDC9 said:
Then there's my favorite term, "on the hold..."

Man I hate that phrase, sounds ridiculous. What the hell does it mean anyway? I dunno, but hear it quite often on the radio...
It's actually "on TO hold", but that doesn't make it any less annoying, does it? It's an Air Force-ism that goes back to day one in pilot training for zoomie types. The pilot training VFR pattern is a hornets' nest requiring all the brevity that can be mustered. Heck, they don't even clear 'em to land. If you hear someone respond to position and hold with "on to hold", chances are they have some Air Force stink on them.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back