• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Likely to happen?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
you may want to look up the definition of irony then edit your post accordingly.

If you're referring to the company I work for and the equipment they operate, it is kinda ironic. I chose the best positioned company, where I don't have to commute, and the smallest equipment which I'm most proficient in and have the most experience with. I had been to 3 training events within the year with 3 different companies and I didn't want to learn a whole new plane in addition. Just a personal preference.

Funny how these "johnny come latelys" who have never breathed aviation, feel like they are the solution and entitled to everything. I flew with a captain not long ago who could profess how the contract is written verbatim but couldn't identify what the differences are between a 777 and a 757. I don't like to look down my nose at people, but when I have thought of nothing other than flying since I was 3, I feel like I have a bigger attachment to this career, this lifestyle. I encounter people who have switched careers and dropped thousands out of high school on a whim because they saw a damn advertisement in a magazine of some skyward looking model, I have to question them. Why are they accusing me of being the problem? I truly feel for people who actually enjoy flying. I feel more connected to them than people who can take it or leave it. People like Coopervane and PilotYIP and all those out there that are just flying the line trying to make themselves professional and the best damn pilots out there.

And how is this different from the mainline guys that can't tell the difference between RJs?

And how is this different from the mainline guys that can't tell the difference between RJs?

No different. Take pride in your kraft. I found it interesting that this person probably could care less about aviation as it is and more about the contract. After flying 91, 135, and 121, the 121 crowd has somewhat lost themselves in the contracts, the red tape, and the rat race that it is.

Funny how these "johnny come latelys" who have never breathed aviation, feel like they are the solution and entitled to everything. I flew with a captain not long ago who could profess how the contract is written verbatim but couldn't identify what the differences are between a 777 and a 757. I don't like to look down my nose at people, but when I have thought of nothing other than flying since I was 3, I feel like I have a bigger attachment to this career, this lifestyle. I encounter people who have switched careers and dropped thousands out of high school on a whim because they saw a damn advertisement in a magazine of some skyward looking model, I have to question them. Why are they accusing me of being the problem? I truly feel for people who actually enjoy flying. I feel more connected to them than people who can take it or leave it. People like Coopervane and PilotYIP and all those out there that are just flying the line trying to make themselves professional and the best damn pilots out there.

You "lifestyle" pilots are the problem. You will do it for nothing because you "love to fly' and "live to fly".This is a JOB, not a lifestyle, except for you egomaniacs who entire life revolves around being an airline pilot. I do this strictly for the pay, time off, retirement, insurance and job security. If I could find something else that would give me all this and never fly again, I'd gladly give my major job to one of you who "love" to fly.

FAIR WARNING

Given the nature of this thread, if we receive any more complaints regarding "flame bait" it will be deleted.

I'm already there!

I wouldn't mind being at a regional for my career, even if they flew turboprops still. That's just the type of flying I enjoy. My point is, I enjoy flying and I don't need to fly the "heavy metal" to feel important or self worth. You seem to think everyone wants to be at UPS or NASA. Some people are genuinely happy with their careers, most of them aren't affiliated with this website, ironically.
I enjoy where I am having flown all models of the DHC-8. I'm 40 and I enjoy my job. I had an interview at Continental 2 years ago and didn't get the job. It was the only legacy interivew I had in my career and have no regrets about not having "made it yet". I could retire here and feel good even if I never get to fly the heavies. Career aspirations change as you age, and I'm not only interested in just a flying anymore.:nuts:

Coopervane, pilotyip, and captainmorgan ARE the kind of pilots that have ruined the profession. Because they will continue to accept whatever management wants to shove down their throats. They "love" to fly so much that they will do it for any pay rate that the pigs, boars, sloths, or whatever you call the scum that holds the management positions that dictate what we are worth, are willing to pay us. I think it is unconscionable that any airline pilot regardless of equipment size, or seat, shouldn't be paid enough to buy a modest home in the city they are domiciled at and perhaps be able to buy a new car at 20 to 30 grand and have a wife and kids. Is that not too much to ask for all the money spent for entry into this profession?

The average FO at a regional airline is getting about $2,000 to $2,500 deposited into his checking account each month. Love of flying only goes so far when you can't even live a decent life. When you see construction workers, laborers, truck drivers, janitors, bus drivers, sanitation workers, MTA workers, and the list goes on, of unskilled and uneducated workers getting paid more than you as an airline pilot, you all would just throw out the ole "adapt or die" mantra huh? And I don't want to hear from the tools that are 10+ year RJ Captains exalting about how well they are paid. What about the other half of the pilot group sitting in the right seat for a decade and ending up over 40 years of age before they can even hold reserve captain status. Just ask any Horizon, Comair, or Eagle pilot.

What's moral is moral and what's immoral is immoral. And with the exception of you people that apparently don't think we should be airline pilots for the same reason someone drives a truck, or becomes a steel worker, and that is to EARN A LIVING, most people with half a brain think our pay structure in this industry is abhorrent!!!!

As if we haven't had to adapt enough already in this profession. Watching more and more of mainline flying, the type of flying 90% of us dreamed of doing, being handed over to the scumbag regionals who keep getting more and more and larger and larger aircraft creating so little demand that most of us will never get to the majors, which is a far cry from what it was when most of us got into this dead end career.

At last a man with the answers

Coopervane, pilotyip, and captainmorgan ARE the kind of pilots that have ruined the profession. Because they will continue to accept whatever management wants to shove down their throats. As if we haven't had to adapt enough already in this profession. Watching more and more of mainline flying, the type of flying 90% of us dreamed of doing, being handed over to the scumbag regionals who keep getting more and more and larger and larger aircraft creating so little demand that most of us will never get to the majors, which is a far cry from what it was when most of us got into this dead end career.
You are the one we have all been waiting for, a man with all thee answers on how to run an airline to make it the perfect place for a pilot to work. When are you starting this airline that has the highest pay, the most days off, and 150% matching on the 401K? Everyone will think you are the smartest, coolest, most professional manager ever born. As I ahve stated before in the end the consumer determines what goes on at an airline, the first thing they look at is the cheap tickets, they do not care in the F/O makes 15K/yr
This is repeat but if fits here. This is a pilot board so saying anything in defense of management is like peeing into the wind, that is, it is going to come back to you. CEO's are not intentionally running airlines into the ground. They would very much like to succeed. For lack of other reason it would make their resume look great, they would be doing something no other CEO had ever done. Top management includes many besides the CEO, the CEO sets direction as requested by the board. The CEO has little control over the airline, the airline is run by regulation and union contracts. They are at the mercy of the purchasing public, who with Internet access has made the airline ticket a perfectly elastic commodity. There is little they can do inside their structure. Other high paid top management personnel, in Operations, Maintenance. Marketing, Legal, Finance, etc. have unique skills in dealing with large organizations. This makes them marketable when shopping for a job, unlike pilots whose skills are nearly universal. Now I will agree that CEO leadership in many cases leaves much to be desired. An issue of ATW in 2002 had an article about "Airline Management a dying breed", the article basically said no one wants to do it. The good track record CEO’s are going to other industries. With tremendous, payrolls, overhead burdens, and extremely low margins, there is no tried and true path to success. Most have tried to increase market share, but this has lead to low price and ridiculous breakeven load factors in 95% range. The consumer with internet ticket price access seeking the lowest fare, drives management to always seek lower costs to stay competitive. What is management supposed to do? Eliminating management will bring the end quicker for the airplane industry, and their salaries are insignificant to the airlines operating costs. Without management you could not operate the airline, The FAA would shut it down without approved Part 119 key management. Would the pilots step up and become management for free in their spare time? Why is every time, pilot salaries come up, they are immediately compared to top management. I saw an article in ATW in 2001 that stated at DAL there were 17 members of top management made more than the top DAL Captain. The combined top 17 salaries equaled less than 1/6 of 1% of the combined pilot salaries. If management worked for free all pilots in the company would get a 1/10 of 1% raise. (for a $100K per year pilot that would be $3/wk increase in take home) Boy that raise would really make the pilot group happy. Top management possesses skills that allow them to move from job to job and command high salaries. And every one of these managers wants to see his/her airline prosper. They just can

Last edited:
You are the one we have all been waiting for, a man with all thee answers on how to run an airline to make it the perfect place for a pilot to work. When are you starting this airline that has the highest pay, the most days off, and 150% matching on the 401K? Everyone will think you are the smartest, coolest, most professional manager ever born. As I ahve stated before in the end the consumer determines what goes on at an airline, the first thing they look at is the cheap tickets, they do not care in the F/O makes 15K/yr
This is repeat but if fits here. This is a pilot board so saying anything in defense of management is like peeing into the wind, that is, it is going to come back to you. CEO's are not intentionally running airlines into the ground. They would very much like to succeed. For lack of other reason it would make their resume look great, they would be doing something no other CEO had ever done. Top management includes many besides the CEO, the CEO sets direction as requested by the board. The CEO has little control over the airline, the airline is run by regulation and union contracts. They are at the mercy of the purchasing public, who with Internet access has made the airline ticket a perfectly elastic commodity. There is little they can do inside their structure. Other high paid top management personnel, in Operations, Maintenance. Marketing, Legal, Finance, etc. have unique skills in dealing with large organizations. This makes them marketable when shopping for a job, unlike pilots whose skills are nearly universal. Now I will agree that CEO leadership in many cases leaves much to be desired. An issue of ATW in 2002 had an article about "Airline Management a dying breed", the article basically said no one wants to do it. The good track record CEO’s are going to other industries. With tremendous, payrolls, overhead burdens, and extremely low margins, there is no tried and true path to success. Most have tried to increase market share, but this has lead to low price and ridiculous breakeven load factors in 95% range. The consumer with internet ticket price access seeking the lowest fare, drives management to always seek lower costs to stay competitive. What is management supposed to do? Eliminating management will bring the end quicker for the airplane industry, and their salaries are insignificant to the airlines operating costs. Without management you could not operate the airline, The FAA would shut it down without approved Part 119 key management. Would the pilots step up and become management for free in their spare time? Why is every time, pilot salaries come up, they are immediately compared to top management. I saw an article in ATW in 2001 that stated at DAL there were 17 members of top management made more than the top DAL Captain. The combined top 17 salaries equaled less than 1/6 of 1% of the combined pilot salaries. If management worked for free all pilots in the company would get a 1/10 of 1% raise. (for a $100K per year pilot that would be $3/wk increase in take home) Boy that raise would really make the pilot group happy. Top management possesses skills that allow them to move from job to job and command high salaries. And every one of these managers wants to see his/her airline prosper. They just can

PilotYIP why do you always cut and paste the exact same responses on these threads. I recognize this same post from a few yrs ago. Do you store them on your hard drive and just repost them when it suits you.

You are part of the reason the industry is in so much trouble. Oh yea, fly because you like it. Sarcasm.

Latest resources

Back