• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Likelihood of terrorists flying for airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tell us Resocha, what is the current status of the IRA and what did the free society of the Republic of Ireland do to sustain them?

As far as using Timothy McVeigh to counter my point, you have only made yourself look foolish. All societies, both free and tyrannical have whackos in their midst and there is nothing you can do about them except try to weed them out when they are young and get them help. History is littered with whackjobs who flew off the handle and did heinous things, this is not to say that the FREE SOCIETY IN WHICH THEY LIVED SPONSORED THEIR ACTIONS.

Do you get the difference now or do I have to go in more vivid detail?

Cokie907 said:
Tell us Resocha, what is the current status of the IRA and what did the free society of the Republic of Ireland do to sustain them?

As far as using Timothy McVeigh to counter my point, you have only made yourself look foolish. All societies, both free and tyrannical have whackos in their midst and there is nothing you can do about them except try to weed them out when they are young and get them help. History is littered with whackjobs who flew off the handle and did heinous things, this is not to say that the FREE SOCIETY IN WHICH THEY LIVED SPONSORED THEIR ACTIONS.

Do you get the difference now or do I have to go in more vivid detail?

You arrogance is entertaining. You must be quite an expert.

It may be an issue of semantics or interpretation, and although the government may not have given an overt thumbs-up, the IRA was still supported by certain segments of the FREE society. And you're right, fortunately, the IRA's violent action has presently conceded, but notice that it didn't take the RAF to level all of Northern Ireland to make that happen.

In other words, terrorists existed for over 30 years in a free society, BECAUSE of their local support, without the need of state support. But most importlantly, it didn't take bombs to dislodge the terrorists, as is your solution.

I'm done, but if you just can't help yourself, fire away.

Cokie907 said:
This is one of the reasons why we must continue on in the War on Terror as it has been mapped out by the Bush administration after 9/11. Bush has explained time and time again that we cannot competely guard this country against EVERY CONCEIVABLE ATTACK from radical elements of Islam. We must take the fight to them and disrupt/destroy their networks, shut down their funding and work to spread FREEDOM around the globe because free societies do not sponsor terrorists, plain and simple.

I can't believe people have bought that argument. Nobody can SPREAD freedom, it must come from within or it will never last.

The United States government supported dictators when it suited their goals and still do today.

What the United States needs to do is to have a policy to SUPPORT freedom, especially over business interests. Case in point, Taiwan. Taiwan is a free and democratic country. Will the United States support them if mainland China attacks ? Doubtful, because business comes first. It is this kind of hypocrisy that is dooming the USA.

I whole heartedly support the idea of freedom and democracy. I support the vision of our country's founding fathers to set up a government structure that was/is difficult to dismantle by individuals bent on personal power trips and crusades. George Bush and the neocons destroyed the principle's of America when Iraq was invaded and now we will pay the price for generations to come.

Typhoonpilot

Resocha said:
It may be an issue of semantics or interpretation, and although the government may not have given an overt thumbs-up, the IRA was still supported by certain segments of the FREE society. And you're right, fortunately, the IRA's violent action has presently conceded, but notice that it didn't take the RAF to level all of Northern Ireland to make that happen.

In other words, terrorists existed for over 30 years in a free society, BECAUSE of their local support...

That's what they would have called the colonists, had they placed second in the US Independence War Games.

How many IRA founders became exiled here to the US to become college students, military men, Governors, Lawyers, laypersons, Americans?

Obviously the premise of this thread is a real possibility in the post-9/11 world in which we all now live. I think a likely scenario, rather than sending future martyrs through training like for 9/11, might be to recruit already established airline employees.
This crossed my mind afew years ago. We had a pilot at my old airline who was of Middle Eastern origin; he went back to his home country every few months or so to visit family. I knew him fairly well and worked with often, and he was a great guy, happily married with a couple of kids. No big deal, especially through the 80's & 90's.
After he'd been there about 12 years and approaching his 40s, he suddenly went from being your average needs-to-lose-a-few-pounds kind of guy to being in fantastic physical condition. Many people do this in response to the approach of mid-life, and in his case that seems to be the end of it. But after 9/11, I couldn't help but wonder about someone like that who, upon approaching mid-life, starts the "why am I here?" self-analysis. Maybe he's feeling a sense of disillusionment or lack of life purpose. He feels a pull to get in touch with his roots, his heritage, and maybe starts attending a mosque like he did when he was a kid.
Once his profession becomes known to others, there may be a few characters who start working on him, telling him that Allah has placed him in this position for a very special purpose, and that his draw back to Islam at this time in his life is no coincidence. Over time they may convince him of his true mission in life. By now he is established at the airline, is well known to everyone and is far above any suspicion. And he has all the credentials to glide directly into the left seat and wait for his date with destiny.
Fortunately, in the case of my former co-worker, this was not the case; anyone who may recognize him, please know that I am not attempting to slander or accuse this individual. But the London subway/bus bombers were British-born; their neighbors were "stunned" because they seemed so "normal" and well-adjusted. So I think it is well within the realm of possibility. It's just sad that we have to consider such scenarios these days.

The real reason you won't see this hypothectical Jihad of airline pilots, is because you can't train to be an airline pilot by climbing on monkey bars and shooting guns at targets in the desert.

However, they could become Jihad stewards and stewardesses. If you see one that won't drink or put out on an overnight, keep your eyes open and ask them how they did on the monkey bar races.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree with Typhoon pilot more. I think we should also take a look out foreing policy where freedom is involved only when it suits our rights.
Shah of Iran was an ally, but he tortured people to death.
Our biggest enemy du jour bin Laden was armed, supported, given Stinger missles by our VP.
Mandela that was invited to the White House, was jailed by the DeKlerk government that had the biggest support by us and Thatcher.
Saddam that is in jail was our biggest ally against Iran in 80s.

I am telling you, if we are talking the talk, our actions don't jive with it.

We cannot spread freedom by bombing the world where here in our homeland, we have people suffering from malnutrition, lack of health care coverage.

What I find it extremely amazing is that people who hate their airline managers for filing bankrupcy and reducing wages, love the administration who gives the business biggest breaks

TyphoonPilot...

Democracy has never been exported to places like Japan, South Korea, or Germany...or for that matter most of Eastern Europe. Yeah, you're right. Not.

Latest resources

Back