• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Likelihood of death in General Aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"I will say that it seems like many more 121 pilots die flying 91 for fun than do during their day job, despite the vastly lower amount of flight time/miles. I'd think that most big airlines lose a pilot or two every couple of years to a GA crash while most American airlines rarely have the fatal accidents (knock on wood). We lost 2 pilots to a mid-air during a photo run 6 months or so ago (retired but still part of the family)."

Yeah, I think day to day 121 ops degrade GA flying ability...while maybe exaggerating in your mind the ability to conduct the flight. Dangerous combo. You have a checklist for everything, a policy for everything, and someone with you in 121. There was an absurdly high time capt a few years ago that t-boned someone on a crossing runway in his king air. Can't remember the exact specifics of it, but I seem to recall there were problems with proper frequencies, communication(obviously) et al. Will you be as apt flying GA on the weekends on a clear and a million day to check for notams and weather? What is the freq again for the FSS here? Did those golf clubs screw up my cg? Little stuff that can be taken for granted when you are handed a packet of required information everyday in the same format. Plus you are a big time professional pilot by God! Little stuff that can turn you into a memory.

Now of course present company excluded. None of us here have ever made a mistake or oversight.

Just something to think about. Fly safe guys and gals.

..for the record I love GA and hope to be able to continue flying in that realm as well.

I am a Regional Airline Pilot with a civilian background. I flew plenty of single engine and twin engine GA Aircraft over the years and lately have wanted to get back into flying single engine GA aircraft as a hobby.

My question is: What is the likelihood of dying in a single engine piston airplane (lets say a Cessna 172) if you pursue the hobby for an entire lifetime? Lets say you start flying GA Aircraft again at 27 yrs old (my current age) and want to fly until age 65. If I fly 1-2 times a week for about 10 hours per month over the next 38 years is there a low, medium, or high chance of eventually getting into a fatal accident?

Keep in mind that I am an ATP and have over 3500 hours of flight time currently. Also, I would be flying exclusively in VFR conditions.

Just wanted to hear some thoughts from seasoned GA pilots who have been flying for 10+ years.

I fly aircraft owned by some friends as often as I can. It may be a J3 Cub, an 8E Luscombe, a Champ, an L19 Bird Dog or the most desirable is a 450 hp Stearman. All except the Stearman have no electrical system and must be hand propped.
The only thing I worry about is that which is standing on our strip, and that's water and or cow's. Neither have ever stopped me from enjoying what I love to do. The only stress I have about it is they'll all be sold someday. Other than that, as long as I can get my fat'az up in them, I'll continue to gamble with those that got me this far to begin with.
Life is good, go, have fun while you can.

The Bird Dog doesn't have an electrical system? With a pressure carburetor, without an electical driven fuel pump, the engine will die if the engine driven fuel pump craps out. The O-470-11/15 that is installed has a Stromberg PS-5 pressure carb.

The Bird Dog doesn't have an electrical system? With a pressure carburetor, without an electical driven fuel pump, the engine will die if the engine driven fuel pump craps out. The O-470-11/15 that is installed has a Stromberg PS-5 pressure carb.

You're right, my bad, the Dog does have an electrical system. Good airplane, too.

I thought VFR bugsmashing was supposed to increase one's life span via lower blood pressure, happier outlook on life, hanging out with good friends, enjoying the view, etc?

See quote below.

I thought VFR bugsmashing was supposed to increase one's life span via lower blood pressure, happier outlook on life, hanging out with good friends, enjoying the view, etc?

I don't know if it's supposed to, but it certainly ought to.

At a minimum, flying should remind you that you're still alive, and why.

Goal in life (or at least one of them): Fly a C-185 on skis. I'm changing my avatar to reflect my dedication to this goal.

avbug said:
At a minimum, flying should remind you that you're still alive, and why.

AAAAAAAAMEN!!!

-Goose

I think the odd's of NW Pilot, the aircraft ferry pilot here's early departure from the living is far greater than mine.

Latest resources

Back