Lightspeed Zulu headset

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bernoulli

Anyone tried lightspeed's new Zulu headset? It looks very similar to the Bose headset...but a little less $$$850.00. They seem to be claiming it's the quietest headset out there.

I tried it on at oshkosh and it was awesome. Pretty much the same deal as Bose but about 150 cheaper!

I have tried Bose and their ANR is awesome...but passive high freq is not so great. Do Zulu's have better passive noise reduction that Bose? The reason I ask is I would like to get one headset that works great in both a turbo prop (ANR blocks the low freq) and RJ's (passive blocks the high freq slip stream).

Do a search of previous threads. Headsets seems to be one of the favorite topics next to 300 hour wonder pilots, s***ty schedules and stupid management.

Lightspeed makes great stuff -- I have the QX-C and love it, and everyone on the boards seems happy with LS headsets. But I believe there was some discussion about interference from windshield anti-ice circuits in the ERJ and that the Clarity Aloft may be a better in-ear option.

lightspeed had a problem with interference with the windshield heat but all new models have a mod to block that... all old models can be fixed under warranty no questions asked just call lightspeed....just got my mach 1's fixed and they work great. Through in a bunch of extras as well with the repair

Do a search of previous threads. Headsets seems to be one of the favorite topics next to 300 hour wonder pilots, s***ty schedules and stupid management.

Lightspeed makes great stuff -- I have the QX-C and love it, and everyone on the boards seems happy with LS headsets. But I believe there was some discussion about interference from windshield anti-ice circuits in the ERJ and that the Clarity Aloft may be a better in-ear option.

I don't think the Zulu's have been discussed before, they're not even on sale yet although you can pre-order for September delivery. Also not everyone is totally happy with Lightspeed headsets. I've used almost nothing but Lightspeed from Student Pilot days all the way to now 4000+ hours. Like most people who use Lightspeed headsets I've been very happy with the noise cancellation and the comfort and disappointed with the durability. I've sent them in for repair countless times.

It looks like the new design uses more metal and should be more durable. We shall see. The Zulu's also have a bluetooth cell phone/music interface. This I like... you can listen to your music discretely without running obvious wires. Useful for the spikey haired ipod-wearing set.

The zulu is my first choice, after trying on the Bose X and many others. Love the light weight & comfort, VERY beautiful & clear voice transmission. The only thing I wasn't so sure about was that it has magnesium components...so maybe it won't break as easily as others, but God forbid my head catches on fire. :p

I don't use an mp3 player or phone when I'm flying ever, but the guy at the sales desk did say that it has a feature for both and will even reduce your music to 80% volume so you can hear incoming radio calls. Supposed to be great in turboprops and jets, so we will see.

I pre-ordered it and I'm picking it up today! :beer:

-FW

lightspeed has a great trade up program as well. I have an old thirty-3g and will end up trading it for the zulu at a significant discount. great company. you can get a new headset every few years the rest of your life for a couple hundred bucks.....

Anyone know if they do any sort of a "payment plan" I know someplaces will just deduct $50 a month from your paycheck to pay for such cool "tools."

Latest resources

Back