Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

saviboy

Lightspeed 15 XLC noise cancelling headset
does somebody know this headset or any of the other in the same series: 15, 25, etc...
thanks

Yes Sir!!

Went flying with my brand new Lightspeed 30-3G's day before yesterday; my instructor was wearing an older set of 15XL's (don't know if it was an XLc).

It's impossible to describe in words how much difference there is between an ANR and a non-ANR headset in the noisy cockpit environment of an old Mooney 20G. The reason I bought the 30-3G's in the first place was because I had tried out those very same 15XL's, which he had borrowed from someone else, several months ago.

During the flight we exchanged headsets and I would venture to guess that my new set reduced the noise by at least a third over the old set. However, having said that, there is such a tremendous improvement in the 15XL's compared to non-ANR, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

The only downside I can see (hear) to the ANR's is that if you turn it off (or the battery goes dead) it gets awfully loud real quick; maybe even worse than a non-ANR. Don't know if this is typical of all ANR's or just the 2 models of Lightspeed's I'm familiar with. It could also be the shock of going from tomb-like quiet to "noise overload" that makes it seem worse than it really is.

Anyway, I don't really care; I plan on carrying plenty of extra batteries at all times. When you're old and deaf like I am, it's a real pleasure to be able, once again, to understand what and why the controller is screaming at you. Before the new headset, I'd just have to mumble "Roger" and keep on doing whatever it was that I was doing. Those guys sure seem to get upset easily. :)

Are you aware of the rebuilt and warranted headsets that Lightspeed sells on their website and the 5% AOPA discount available from some retailers? In any case, if you don't want to put out the cash for a brand new set, buy the 15XL's, you'll never regret it and they seem to hold their value very well if you decide to trade up at a later date.

Good luck.

I have a pair I bought when I first started flying. They've been a great investment and still work perfectly. Once, the cord got pulled out and they fixed it free, regardless of the fact that it was out of warranty.

NYCPilot said:
where's a good place to buy those 30-3G's with the AOPA discount?

I got mine from Sporty's.

Think I was supposed to win an airplane or something too.

Hmmmm, don't remember getting a call from my 'ol buddy Hal, telling me where to pick it up. :mad:

I have a pair of 20Xlc's. They're a great headset, except for the fact that they're so damm bulky. I definately recommend them over everything else in their price range, but I would go with a Bose set over any of the lightspeeds.

I've done a search of these boards and it seems the consensus if money permits are the Bose. I'm trying to figure out a way to get a pair. Does anyonethink a used pair from Ebay is worth purchasing. I hate used stuff, especially electronics as you never know why they're selling it. Maybe its a lemon. Anyway, I'd rather go new. Who wants to wear used headsets anyway.

Just gotta figure out how to afford them.

NYCPilot said:
I've done a search of these boards and it seems the consensus if money permits are the Bose. I'm trying to figure out a way to get a pair. Does anyonethink a used pair from Ebay is worth purchasing. I hate used stuff, especially electronics as you never know why they're selling it. Maybe its a lemon. Anyway, I'd rather go new. Who wants to wear used headsets anyway.

Just gotta figure out how to afford them.

They are relatively expensive, but if you consider that they would last an average GA pilot years and years, then they become very reasonably priced.

NookyBooky said:
They are relatively expensive, but if you consider that they would last an average GA pilot years and years, then they become very reasonably priced.

How is Bose's customer service?

Flylo said:
The only downside I can see (hear) to the ANR's is that if you turn it off (or the battery goes dead) it gets awfully loud real quick; maybe even worse than a non-ANR. Don't know if this is typical of all ANR's or just the 2 models of Lightspeed's I'm familiar with. It could also be the shock of going from tomb-like quiet to "noise overload" that makes it seem worse than it really is.

It's not just you. An ANR headset that's dead is louder than a non-ANR headset. It has something to do with the way that the ANR headset is seperated into two acoustic spaces. The bose is even worse in this regard, without the ANR you might as well just use the speaker and hand mic.

I've used lightspeed's from my initial training in '97 all the way through the present. I've probably sent them back for repair maybe 4 times and upgraded once. They never charged for the repair (even though once was for when I ran over them with a Cessna...), but they do seem a little flimsy for professional use. The plastic just can't take the constant flexing of putting them on and taking them off. I've had the earcup break off twice at the band, the Y yoke break once (currently held together with epoxy and tape), replaced the cord once, and gone through several ear seals (the vinyl tears easily). Supposedly the 3G's are a little more durable (I've got 20XL's). I may upgrade again cause they're so comfy.

Latest resources

Back