Lightning strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Uppercrust said:
... shortly after takeoff. To me this seems like Vr till probably 2000 AGL...

Still marching to your own drumbeat, eh?

"Shortly after takeoff = Vr till 2000 AGL," I GOT IT, thanks! Any other definitions come to mind, be sure to pass them along so that I could incorporate them into my airmanship. Hey, Miles, then where does the "upperatmosphere" start where you fly, 2,000 AGL & higher? Cause that's where they got hit, in the "upperatmosphere."

B-atch, no one's launching into dark-lightning laden clouds. Since you are the one referencing the NTSB archives, perhaps you should follow your own advice & look into lightning strikes. In the scheduled environment (due to the frequency/scheduling integrity w/in the scope of safety), they are very common, especially in the Midwest & in the South, and there doesn't have to be a microburst in the area (DAL 191).

Uppercrust said:
I thought the article was straight forward about what happen. It said a lightning bolt hit the aircraft shortly after takeoff. . . . . . . . Getting hit at this altitude only means one thing, they were way to close.. and it wasn't static discharge.:cartman:

Only a non-pilot moron like Uppercrust would actually use a TV station report of an air return and call it a "straightforward article". Congratulations, you know even less about aviation matters than a local TV station reporter.

Starting to wonder if Uppercrud is also Lowturd.

B-atch said:
Delta 191 comes to mind, amongs others.

Okay? What about DL 191? Did he launch into dark lightning laden clouds? Inquiring minds want to know. (It was a dark and stormy night...)

Why do you guys always get suckered in by upper-colon-crusty. Ignore him, he'll go away just like most retarded children.

Most of you obviously are not real pilots. Ive got five years of pounding an MU-2 and a Navajo through thunderstorms in the midwest and I can tell you that if you get hit by a bolt you are definitely closer than 20 miles to the storm....bet those pilots will get a letter from their friendly fsdo soon. Until you've asked a freight dog....dont put up your silly opinions based on a lightning bolt traveling fifty miles to hit a mountain somewhere in the south pacific...doesnt happen in the US.

rspilot said:
Most of you obviously are not real pilots. Ive got five years of pounding an MU-2 and a Navajo through thunderstorms in the midwest and I can tell you that if you get hit by a bolt you are definitely closer than 20 miles to the storm....bet those pilots will get a letter from their friendly fsdo soon. Until you've asked a freight dog....dont put up your silly opinions based on a lightning bolt traveling fifty miles to hit a mountain somewhere in the south pacific...doesnt happen in the US.

Rspilot,

You're absolutely right! Let's just jump to the conclusion that the crew f'ed up because they were hit by lightning. And while we're on the subject, why would anyone feel sorry for those darned surfers who get attacked by sharks? "They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into, I say let 'em crash!"
Perhaps if we can get those Airtran guys fired based on a sketchy slow-news-day story you can get hired in their place! Good luck, we're all counting on you.

-Blucher:rolleyes:

Blucher said:
Rspilot,

You're absolutely right! Let's just jump to the conclusion that the crew f'ed up because they were hit by lightning. And while we're on the subject, why would anyone feel sorry for those darned surfers who get attacked by sharks? "They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into, I say let 'em crash!"
Perhaps if we can get those Airtran guys fired based on a sketchy slow-news-day story you can get hired in their place! Good luck, we're all counting on you.

-Blucher:rolleyes:

Thazzzz whuttt imm talking about!!!!!

What you meant to say was . . . . . .

rspilot said:
Ive got five years of getting an ass-pounding up against the side of an MU-2 while the freight was being loaded. . . . . and in my experience, which is even more limited than Undercrust's, lightning never goes more than 20 miles from the center of a storm, but, then again, I have no idea about what happens above FL180 . . . . someday, when I have something relevant to say, I am going to post again, so you guys look out . . . .

Last edited:
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Did Crusty the clown make another moronic statement? I wouldn't know because I have him on "ignore" and am loving it. Let's just not respond to anything he says. By responding to him everyone is giving him and his clueless thoughts attention that he so desperately desires but doesn't deserve. Once he realizes nobody cares what he says, he'll turn off his computer and find some other means of making himself feel good about his pathetic infuriority complex.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back