Lightning strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Uppercrust said:
My sympathy for the passengers that had to endure this show of airmanship!

What ar you saying? If I were the Captain I'd turn back too. I've been hit twice in 121 ops enroute. both times there was minor damage to the aircraft. sounds like they did the right thing to me. My .02

Ahhh...I think what he is trying to say is "YOU DO NOT TAKE-OFF if TS are that close to the terminal area, and or you'r projected departure path". If radar was properly used and echoes properly avoided, the a/c should not have been exposed to such a strike.

Last edited:
B-atch said:
Ahhh...I think what he is trying to say is "YOU DO NOT TAKE-OFF if TS are that close to the terminal area, and or you'r projected departure path". If radar was properly used and echoes properly avoided, the a/c should not have been exposed to such a strike.

Interesting theory. If I remember corectly, I think I read that lightning can happen as far as 50 miles from a storm. Are you suggesting we just not fly in the South in the spring/summer? The only way to not expose a/c to lightning in the summer in the South is to keep it hangared. Tought to make money that way, even for Airtran. So I pose the question once again for Uppercrust, what are you talking about with "superior airmanship?"

-Blucher:confused:

Asking uppercrust for clarification about something concerning AirTran is akin to asking Hamas to explain the Torah.

Phaedrus said:
Asking uppercrust for clarification about something concerning AirTran is akin to asking Hamas to explain the Torah.

Nice! Do you mind if I borrow that analogy? I like it!

-Blucher:laugh:

B-atch said:

ATL launches an aircraft about every 45 seconds at that hour, it could have been anybody. It happens. Part of aviation, not a big deal. The only reason he came back, was because the plane would have been grounded at DCA, screwing the morning passengers. As the article reported, the passengers were loaded on to another aircraft and sent on their way. Good decision everybody wins, except, of course, uppercrust who is still a loser.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back