• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Light Twins

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Comfort, power, roomy cabin, and rudder trim add up to a win.

Not being mean, somebody posted this earlier and I just thought the rudder trim comment was a little off. Thought I would stand up for the Aztec. I don't have any Barron time so I can't really compare notes with you Barron flyers. Aztecs are Aztecs. I think the Barron probably compares more to the Cessna 310.

Well I haven't flown either the Aztec or Baron, so can't comment on them. But I think the 402 is probably the easist flying twin out there. The C models will go faster and carry more weight. But the other models, I think, are a better ride. The problem with the 310 is you have to climb over seats to get in.

You have to look at the whole picture. The Baron has a very nice cabin for paxs. THe back doors open so it is very easy to get in it for the paxs and they sit face to face. You can put 6 people in it and it will fly no problem, of course you can't bring a ton of gas, but that is a given. As far as ease of flying, it is one of the easiet I have ever flown. It will fly realy slow and handles really well at slow speeds. It has a nice range and it pretty quick, about 180kts.
I never liked the Aztec, it is a good plane for training, but other than that it is not worth flying charter or people in. As said above, you have to climb over seats to get in it, it is slow, 160kts, I also believe it is weak when it comes to performance. It is big and not very aerodynamic, I have never seen one perform well on one engine. I have lost an engine on a baron before and it flew just fine. THe barons parts are more expensive, but hey you get what you pay for right?

As far as 400 series Cessnas, well they are fine also, not bad airplanes, each model has its own quirks, but overall they are pretty good planes. Much better than the Aztec.

Here is a good way to judge, Go look at 50 different 135 charter operators that operate light twins, compare how many that fly Barons and 400 cessnas, as opposed to Aztecs. You may find 1 out of 50 that have an Aztec, but You will fine a TON of barons and cessnas. I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't find one out 50 that flew the Aztec. That is that way for a reason. It is just not a good plane for that mission. Let the numbers speak for themselves.

SD

During the first hour I spent in the left seat of a Baron, we had a catastrophic prop governor failure on the left engine. As much as that could have sucked, we were nearly at max gross weight and still able to climb at 400fpm. This blew me away; the C177RG I had been flying could barely eek out 500fpm, also with one engine running. (Have to compare the two with one engine running; the comparison with one engine secured is even more striking.. haha)
In comparison, during my checkouts in a Seneca and a C310, we secured engines and were left with performance that was more akin to a high-performance glider than a powered aircraft.
Others may beg to differ with my assertions, and perhaps my experiences are uncharacteristic. I have been impressed with Barons every time I've flown one, though. (That second engine just carries you to the crash site though, right?)

First of all not all Barons are 58s. The 55s will require you to climb over seats. The 58s and the 310Rs I checked out were all over his price range. If you compare 310Q's and Baron 55s, the Aztec performs as well or better. Yeah, it doesn't look as sexy as the others, but the Aztec has good insurance rates, stout engines and a comfortable cabin.

As for a 402, again you are looking at a high maintenance bill with that wing demate AD. Personally I would take a Navajo over the 402. But for what Shawn is looking for, I personally believe that the Aztec is the answer.

And I have flown not only the Baron 55/56/58, PA23-150/-160/-250, C310P/Q/R, but also the CE336/337/340/401/402A,B,C/414/421A,B,C, PA31-300, -310, -325, -350/PA-34-200, -210. So I am talking with a little bit of knowledge. Climbing over the wing is nothing campared with having your bags ransacked and being strip searched at the airport. Now Shawn if you are carrying women, the over the wing thing can be a problem.

The most important thing you need to look at is which aircraft will do the job you need it to do and you are most comfortable in and with.

The major reason that Barons are the most common charter aircraft is that the newest Aztec or 310 was made in the early 1980s. The Newest Baron I saw in the current Trade-A-Plane was made in 1996. A lot newer aircraft. Back when the Aztec and 310 were in production, the Aztec was the most common charter aircraft with the 310 a close second. The Barons were a distant third.

Good luck.

Have you considered a.....Skymaster?

Just a joke, people. :rolleyes:

Ive logged about 600hours in the last 12 months in a Baron, and even though its a bit small at times when you have more then 4 people, you cant beat the 15-17gph at cruise per side and the 195kt TAS.

Im based in the midwest and have flown it as far as Baltimore, Charlotte, Naples Fl, Boise, Portland, Las Cruces etc..... Some destinations can take 4-5 hours to reach but never seems to be too big of a deal.

I also do trips ranging between 50-200nm on a regular basis going in and out of 2500ft strips with out breaking a sweat. Great airplane.

We fly a 1994 with the IO550 (300HP). If your company is gonna throw down 150k to buy one your gonna end up with an older 58 that might not get the 195kts cause I think most of the older ones had the IO520. But that is imaterial.

Anyways, good luck with the purchase. Any questions PM me.

A Baron is a fine aircraft but a 402C or a PA-31-350 might be a better bet. It all depends on your mission. If you never carry more than 4 or 5 passengers and never fly above 6,000 then stop reading right here.

PA-31-350 or C-402C. These aircraft have airstair doors, turbochargers, and are true cabin-class airplanes. I have a lot of hours in both and if you fly out west a NA BE-58 wont make the cut. Single engine service ceiling on a BE-58 is about 5-7000' for example. Dont count on climbing at 1000 FPM very long especially above 5 thousand. A NA light twin runs out of juice very quick. The 402C SE service ceiling is 11,000 and the navajo is about the same. Cruise speeds are all similar among all three types about 180-190 KTAS. The BE-58 and C-402C burn about 33 GPH while the Navajo is closer to 40. I think a C-402 has a much better range as it holds 197 usable while the Navajo is 187.

keep in mind flying a pa31 or a 400 series cessna you gonna be in the 200-300$ an hour range.

go with a baron and youll be down to anywhere between 150-200 due to operating costs are cheap. but you sacrifice room for performance and cost.

mark

Latest resources

Back