Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShawnC

Skirts Will Rise
My company is thinking about buying a light twin to use on trips, particularly to the out of the way airports.

I was thinking something like a Baron. We want 6 seats, or 4 with descent cargo capacity. And range enough to go TPA to Atlanta with reserves.

I personally want something relatively easy enough to fly that I could train one or two of the employees that would go on these trips to land it if I am knocked out(think the AOPA pinch hitter program).

Price, thinking about $150k. But for us the best ROI would not having to be strip searched at the airport, and operating on our on schedule with our clients.

Light Twin

Definately the Piper Aztec....

You can't beat 144 gallons of fuel at 160 knots and a 2200 lbs useful load!

I'd recommend either E or F model...

PM me for more details!

I have to say, You don't see Barons at charter companies for nothing. WHy do you think Airnet flys a ton of them. Don't ever recall seeing an Aztec anywhere but at our flight school. It didn't last long there either. We had an F model there and some students were practiing single engine work during the summer with 4 of them on board, it wouldn't hold alt. Kinda weak motors aand 160 kts, you can get 20 more kts out of a baron. You could just go with a 210 for that matter and forget having to pay for the second motor and still go 160.

BARON all the way. Maybe 400 series cessna also.

SD

Depending on how much power you want, a Cessna 402 could probably get the job done. 300 HP per side is usually enough to get you there and still enough power to fly single engine and hold alt.

ce-310R- 5500 gross approx 1900 of useful load.

and the 310 is a cool looking airplane vs. the barons and aztecs

flown both

I've flown several aztecs and one baron. While my total time will indicate that I don't have tons of experience (or all of the types of airplanes I've flown, I'll fix that soon), but I can say that the baron is much better. Comfort, power, roomy cabin, and rudder trim add up to a win.

BE-58 for speed (dont't try for 6 people) unless you are real light on gas. Nice one hard to find for $150 k, training OK if have dual yoke, Beedch part a little expensive. PA-23 good payload, roomy , but with traditional seating (fwd face) as opposed to club. Good trainer. Possible at $150 k. Cess 310s good speed. Possible at $150k. Models with seats for 6 are really 4-5 with baggage room. Cess 400 series confortable cabin class, most with press. More cost per hour, more to buy. Turbos not a good trainer. If you are limited to $150k then your choices are going to limited.

Aztec

While the Aztec may not be the belle of the ball, it gets the job done. Easy to fly and relatively inexpensive to operate. The Lycomings are reliable. While it is not fast, it is a true 6 place aircraft. Carries a good load of ice. Have taught pinch hitter courses in the Aztec. Its big fat wing is very forgiving. Stick with an E or F model. The early F's had horns on the elevators, I suggest you avoid these aircraft. The aircraft is not sexy enough for most charter operators. A Senaca is another option, but its range with 6 seats is limited. It is also noiser.

It is my personal opinion that you want and need turbo chargers even at sealevel.

The 310s are not a real six place aircraft. Many operators take a seat out. And the Baron, the parts are overpriced.

As for 402s and Navajos. They are more difficult to fly and more expensive to operate. Also the Cessna 400 series have an expensive AD on them right now. This AD requires the removal of the wing for inspection. It is not cheap.

AZTECS have rudder trim.

Latest resources

Back