Light sport mechanic ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyingToIST

Is there a new 'light sport mechanic' designation that can only work on LSA? I heard that this can be accomplished through 20 hour course without the need to get an A&P.. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?

Thanks..

There are two classes of maintenance certification, which are mechanic, and repairman. In the case to which you refer, one may obtain a repairman certificate for light sport aircraft.

This certificate has two ratings. One is the inspection rating, which requires a 16 hour course, and allows you to do the annual condition inspection (not the same as an annual inspection, and the LSA aircraft only require a condition inspection) on your own airplane only.

The other rating is the maintenance rating, and this enables you to not only do the maintenance and inspection on your own airpalne, but on other LSA aircraft. You may do this commercially and receive compensation. 120 hours of training time are required for the airplane maintenance rating. (104 for weight shift and powered parachute each, respectively, and 80 hours each for lighter than air or glider).

As the holder of that certification,you're limited to performing the repairs and inspections provided for in the individual mx manual for any particular LSA airplane. You're also subject to all the performance requirements to which any certificated mechanic is subject, and you must perform the work to the same standard.

EAA has workshops available to help with certification.

http://www.sportair.com/

I will say that as a mechanic and inspector (a real one), and as former long time EAA member and maintenance and flight advisor...I'm very much against this whole process. It has nothing to do with a mechanic seeing others take his work, because that's not the case, and that's not why I object. We certainly need more mechanics available. However, the entire LSA process has been a giant circus of dumbing down the requirements across the board for pilots, mechanics, instructors, everybody. A massive lowering of the bar.

There's a reason that it takes years to become a competent mechanic, that an intensive school lasts as long as it does, that it takes a minimum of 30 months of full time experience to even apply to take the tests and become a certificated mechanic. I had 54 months of documented experience when I tested and got mine...and was still a greenhorn with a LOT to learn.

120 hours is a pathetic number for training, and I find it reprehensible and quite disheartening.

For much the same reason that I had zero support or respect for the recreational certificate and refused to provide flight instruction to anyone seeking a recreational certificate, I won't do anything toward a recreational either. I don't recognize it, won't support it, and want nothing to do with it.

Good luck with your search, however.

For much the same reason that I had zero support or respect for the recreational certificate and refused to provide flight instruction to anyone seeking a recreational certificate, I won't do anything toward a recreational either. I don't recognize it, won't support it, and want nothing to do with it.
Then why in God's name are you giving this guy the tools he needs to do the very thing you find so reprehensible??

EAA has workshops available to help with certification.

http://www.sportair.com/

I think this is what he is talking about....
Along with your dissertation, you gave him the resources he needed.
I don't think it's such a bad idea letting lsa owners fix their own a/c. If you can change your own oil you certainly can fix a plane, it's all just nuts and bolts...what could possibly go wrong?

Aaaah...riiiight...

Perhaps when the practical test for mechanic certification consists of performing an oil change there will be some basis to that line of thought.

Aaaah...riiiight...

Perhaps when the practical test for mechanic certification consists of performing an oil change there will be some basis to that line of thought.

There are some pretty easy "tasks" on the list. I had to demonstrate how to properly wash a window, so changing oil might just be on that list. FWIW, I was being sarcastic, I think it isn't a good idea to let someone with so little training attempt a repair. As it is now I don't think the A&P schools are indepth enough. However, I believe the best training is ojt. I think this whole LSA thing is a bad idea....

Latest resources

Back