• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SPilot

Fun=1/2pV2CLS
Hi,

got a question I'd like some input on regarding the prohibition of takeoff and landing in freezing rain with the C208.

When the METAR, ATIS or phone call to ASOS says 'light freezing rain' but you don't actually observe any rain (it stopped), or, you observe light rain but it doesn't appear to freeze, does that prohibit a legal takeoff?

What's controlling to determine freezing rain condition from the perspective of the FAA ramp checker-upper/typical chief pilot/NTSB-interpretations/pilots?

Essentially I wish to know if certificate action can be brought against me for willfully disregarding an airplane limitation, if I depart or land into conditions I observe not to be freezing rain, but the FAA approved weather sources says it is. What matters...reports or my observations.

Example scenario: I start up or shut down on the ramp while being watched by an inspector without actually accumulating any freezing rain, but operate the aircraft while freezing rain is being reported by the ASOS/ATIS.

Define "operate."

to produce the effect of flight within the METAR surface coverage area... i.e. takeoff or land.

'Flight into such conditions are prohibited'.

Without doubt, I will not depart, if it indeed is freezing rain. However many times the ATIS and some times ASOS reports freezing rain, while there is absolutely no (/freezing) precipitation to be seen anywhere.

What training or eduction in weather observation do you have to form your opinion that the certified observation is incorrect?

Is there such a thing as light freezing rain? Isn't that still freezing rain?
Is there such a thing as lightly disregarding limitations?

"It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission" doesn't normally work with the FAA. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Latest resources

Back