LIFR in a Piston Single

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BoilerUP said:
How proficient are you at parallel parking? Probably not very much unless you happen to do it on a regular basis.

During primary instrument training PP is drilled into you and becomes almost second nature. However it is entirely unrealistic to expect someone to retain the razor edge on their PP skills if they don't routinely 1. experience or 2. practice such things. It shouldn't be "hard" for an instrument proficient pilot to keep wings level using a TC, but once adrenaline and/or panic kicks in during an emergency it can be difficult to revert to unused skills.

Having "Basic knowledge every pilot should have" is not the same as maintaining partial panel skills that atrophy after disuse.

You are right about skills atrophying after disuse. I'm not sure how often you take some sort of instrument proficiency check, if it's part 135 or 121 it is at least every 6 months. If you just fly in your leisure (boy that sounds like fun), the same time frame applies. If you feel deficient then do some partial panel on every instrument check, that should keep you up to speed. As far as the parallel parking goes, I always thought that was kind of like riding a bike. But seriously, I don't think anyone giving you a checkride or other instrument proficiency check would have a problem with you requesting to do some partial panel.

When I was an instructor I did a few of those flights. What the weather is crappy? Time to build some experience!

I only did a few of those flights but I still remember them. Solo IFR in a single was a tremendous learning experience not to mention it is very satisfying. The only reason I would not do it today is because my partial panel proficiency is in the crapper.

Yes, there is risk involved as with anything. But the question is. Are you prepared to accept those risks? And if it comes down to it. Can you manage those risks if the time comes to?

Wankel

Latest resources

Back