• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Goose Egg

Big Jens
All,

This is something that's been on my mind as we have been moving into the ice-free IMC season here in New England. I have noticed that some of my fellow instructors have had no qualms with charging off into actual IMC and flying approaches down to minimums in C-172s. However, after having done that very thing a few times myself have begun to feel a little uneasy with anything below a 1000' and a mile, especially below me enroute. I was curious as to what the 'old salts' of the board would recommend as far as precautions (if any) of flying piston singles in LIFR. I haven't come to any firm conclusions, I'm just trying to gather information.

Understand that this is not an issue of technique. I'm perfectly confident of my instrument skills and quite capable of flying an approach down to minimums or truckin' along in actual IMC as well as supervising students doing the same. This is more of a equipment issue--C-172s are not turbines, and I don't feel like they should be flown like them.

-Goose

Edit: Removed reference to SJS.

Last edited:
Who you calling SJS whacked???? just because i've memorized the sytems to the 737,757,767 ERJ, CRJ and am looking at gulfstream, tab express so I "can make the right career choices" and wear my aviators while walking around naked in the mens locker room doesn't make me have SJS (where is the sarcasm tag........)

you are a buffet of manlines

What is LIFR? Low IFR?

My suggestion is that you should remember that the airplane does not know it is in the clouds. If you do not trust the equipment that you are flying then don't fly it. If you don't trust yourself, don't go until you you feel comfortable. However, this is something you will have to get over if you plan on flying for a living. Maybe a little night freight in pistons would be a good step for you? It helped me out alot!

Way2Broke said:
Maybe a little night freight in pistons would be a good step for you? It helped me out alot!

Did you ever do it in a piston single? A piston twin is a completely different story.

-Goose

really though... Goose brings up a good point. I personally believe that there is no right or wrong answer to this question, it has much more to do with risk manegment and comfort /trust with the aircraft systems. Goose and myself fly C172's that have dual vaccum pumps (plus the electrical 1 for the turn cordinator) Less of a chance of something going wrong. However, I know people who fly planes in hard IMC with less than reliable insturments. When it comes down to it, we all must make the choice what equipment we are comfortable flying with, in what conditions compared to how much risk we are all willing to shell out.

I used to fly intentionally as a young instrument pilot in those conditions in a single engine aircraft. It was good experience and builds confidence. Should you? Depends. How are your instrument skills? Do you trust yourself? Your aircraft? I was in KS at the time so odds were good of surviving an engine failure. If I were surrounded by mtns or wooded areas, I'd probably limit my exposure. Would I do it today? If I needed to do so to get where I wanted to go, probably. For sh!ts and grins, probably not. :beer:

Slice121 said:
If I were surrounded by mtns or wooded areas, I'd probably limit my exposure.

Throw in 40 degree ocean water, and you've described my neck of the woods pretty well.

-Goose

pilotguy143 said:
I personally believe that there is no right or wrong answer to this question, it has much more to do with risk manegment and comfort /trust with the aircraft systems.

Bingo

Goose Egg said:
Did you ever do it in a piston single? A piston twin is a completely different story.

-Goose

To answer your question, yes:
Cherokee 6's
Lances
Arrows

Of course I would have liked to be in a twin the entire time, but I had some dues to pay. Not to mention the fact that I learned alot. People fly hard IFR every day in single engine planes. The safety statistics for such operations are historically good. The biggest killer, of course, is pilot error. People do stupid things, in twins and singles. Don't be that guy or girl.

There are alot of freight companies that start you off in a single before they give you a twin upgrade; for example, flight express and the cessna 210.

I think that what you will end up finding, as this thread evolves, is the the older more experienced pilots will tend to discourage the practice while the younger less experienced types will find nothing wrong with it.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back