• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Life Span vs Age of Retirement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A lifetime of beer, Burger King, min rest overnights and festering on the couch in the crew room will do that to a person......

Nobody is saying that you can't work longer, there are plenty of flying jobs out there for over 60 folks. If you're going to need to work past 60, be sure to fly for one of them.

Nobody is saying that you have to work to work to 65. If you don't want to work until 65, retire at 50, 55, or 60. Does that arguement sound familiar......

I'm not "emotional" about this issue, because it is going to change before I hit 60 regardless of how much you or I want or don't want it to change. It is some of you mainline types with pensions that seem to be getting "emotional" about it. Many of us second class pilots at the regionals, LCC, and second tier carriers don't have pension plans and never will.

If your point was that it makes more sense to retire early for a longer life, then I believe you should retire at 50. Then you will live longer. Simple right?

By the way, you said you won't retire until 50 because you can't have your pension until then. So it is a financial decision for you, as it is for EVERYONE else. If it works for you, retire early and enjoy your 36 years of golf. For those that don't have that pension, they will need to work longer.....

That is why I understand your position. What is this "you main line types" grow up, where do you think I started?What, the second I get hired here I forget where I came from? No, the fact is like many others that went from regionals or nationals to the legacies, they are now are playing a different game with different benfits (ie pensions etc).

My major beef with the uprising from Senior captains for the most part is that they want to keep what they have. We all knew the rules of the game when we got hired. The reason they are sitting in the left seat is because of AGE 60. Now in the last few minutes of the game the rules should be changed.

Yes it alters my plans, so did 9/11 and other factors beyond my control. However I will adjust. I am glad you brought up my pension, the fact that it is a financial decision on my part to wait till 50. If the age 60 guys nearing retirement would simply say what it is, " a money grab", they would garner a lot more respect than beating around the bush with this experience crap, or the 747 captain who can not afford his airplane anymore. This impacts HIS monetary picture, and it also impacts mine. This is about money, plain and simple, on both ends!

AAflyer

That is why I understand your position. What is this "you main line types" grow up, where do you think I started?What, the second I get hired here I forget where I came from? No, the fact is like many others that went from regionals or nationals to the legacies, they are now are playing a different game with different benfits (ie pensions etc).

My major beef with the uprising from Senior captains for the most part is that they want to keep what they have. We all knew the rules of the game when we got hired. The reason they are sitting in the left seat is because of AGE 60. Now in the last few minutes of the game the rules should be changed.

Yes it alters my plans, so did 9/11 and other factors beyond my control. However I will adjust. I am glad you brought up my pension, the fact that it is a financial decision on my part to wait till 50. If the age 60 guys nearing retirement would simply say what it is, " a money grab", they would garner a lot more respect than beating around the bush with this experience crap, or the 747 captain who can not afford his airplane anymore. This impacts HIS monetary picture, and it also impacts mine. This is about money, plain and simple, on both ends!

AAflyer

I agree with you AAflyer, this is about money and greed on BOTH sides of the arguement. Like scope, this is "all about me", and is why a union doesn't work with airline pilots. We all do what is best for ourselves plain and simple. It won't change, and we will never be unified......

I agree with you AAflyer, this is about money and greed on BOTH sides of the arguement. Like scope, this is "all about me", and is why a union doesn't work with airline pilots. We all do what is best for ourselves plain and simple. It won't change, and we will never be unified......

Unfortunately I understand your point, but I don't agree with on Scope.Yes, I know your position and your affiliation with RJDC. Don't agree with it, however I understand what you want. I could toss the coin at you the same way, the greedy mainline pilots want SCOPE, and the greedy regional guys want to fly my routes and equiptment. I shouldn't even be mentioning this as this was not the intent of the thread, however I see you mentioned it twice. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss that subject.

Regards,

AAflyer

Unfortunately I understand your point, but I don't agree with Scope.Yes, I know your position and your affiliation with RJDC. Don't agree with it, however I understand what you want. I could toss the coin at you the same way, the greedy mainline pilots want SCOPE, and the greedy regional guys want to fly my routes and equiptment. I shouldn't even be mentioning this as this was not the intent of the thread, however I see you mentioned it twice. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss that subject.

Regards,

AAflyer

I'm not asking you to agree with my position on scope, RJDC, or age 60, but the FACT is that these are extremely divisive and important issues. We are on different sides of the fence, so we are not going to agree with each other on these issues. This is the reason that ALPA and APA are having difficulty - the pilots ARE NOT unified on these issues. I understand WHY you feel the way you do, but I do not SUPPORT you if your opinion could be detrimental to me.... you see the problem?

Here's a little more information:

http://www.speea.org/general_info/files/life.htm

Retirement vs. Life Expectancy

There is a popular myth that one dies sooner if one continues to work rather than take early retirement. Over the years, misleading charts have been circulated around Boeing showing that the later one retires, the lower the average age at death. These graphs give the impression that working longer leads to an earlier death. The charts that circulate usually show that an employee who retires at age 65 receives an average 18 monthly checks before dying. Even though these charts are incorrect, they continue to circulate around the company every couple of years.

SPEEA recently received an updated chart from Boeing showing the status of retirees under the heritage Boeing Company Employee Retirement Plan (see chart depicting January 1, 2000 data). Each point in the plot represents a retiree. The X-axis shows the age at retirement. The Y-axis shows one of two things: If the retiree is still alive, it shows how many years the employee has been retired. If the retiree has died, it shows how many years the employee lived during retirement.

This chart shows that those who retire at age 65 live much longer than the myth of "18 months".

(chart on web site)
============================================================================

"The most controversial part of the old Boeing retiree data is that it shows that for every year one works beyond age 55, one loses 2 years of life span on average for the age at retirement ranging from 55 to 65.

The older study indicated that the Boeing experience was that employees retiring at age of 65 receive pension checks for only 18 months, on average, prior to death. These controversial statements may be applicable only to the older generations of retirees in the composite old Boeing retiree data. ****The current generation of working people in the 21st century is enjoying average life spans much longer than those of older generations in the composite old Boeing retiree data. With this understanding of time dependent life span, the current generation of working people should not be stunned by the exaggerated and distorted statement above but could express their sympathy to those older generations of people who had much shorter life spans such that they got burned out much earlier in the age range from 55 to 65."***

Latest resources

Back