Life Span vs Age of Retirement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AAflyer

Table 1 ¨C Actuarial Study of life span vs. age at retirement.

Age at

Retirement
Average Age

At Death

Table 1 and the chart indicate that for people retired at the age of 50, their average life span is 86; whereas for people retired at the age of 65, their average life span is only 66.8. An important conclusion from this study is that for every year one works beyond age 55, one loses 2 years of life span on average.

The Boeing experience is that employees retiring at age of 65 receive pension checks for only 18 months, on average, prior to death. Similarly, the Lockheed experience is that employees retiring at age of 65 receive pension checks for only 17 months, on average, prior to death. Dr. David T. Chai indicated that the Bell Labs experience is similar to those of Boeing and Lockheed based on the casual observation from the Newsletters of Bell Lab retirees. A retiree from Ford Motor told Dr. Paul Tien-Lin Ho that the experience from Ford Motor is also similar to those in Boeing and Lockheed.

The statistics shown in the Pre-Retirement Seminar in Telcordia (Bellcore) indicates that the average age that Telcordia (Bellcore) employees start retirement is 57. Therefore, people who retire at the age of 65 or older are minority as compared to the number of early retirees.

The hard-working late retirees probably put too much stress on their aging body-and-mind such that they are so stressed out to develop various serious health problems that forced them to quit and retire. With such long-term stress-induced serious health problems, they die within two years after they quit and retire.

AAFlyer,

Good information. Based on this information, I believe we should push for retirement at 50 - that way we can live longer right? I'm not sure how we will pay for those 36 years of retirement, but we will live longer. I assume you will retire at 50 regardless of the mandatory age so that you can live longer. Are you going to take your own advice and retire at "49.9"?

AAFlyer,

Good information. Based on this information, I believe we should push for retirement at 50 - that way we can live longer right? I'm not sure how we will pay for those 36 years of retirement, but we will live longer. I assume you will retire at 50 regardless of the mandatory age so that you can live longer. Are you going to take your own advice and retire at "49.9"?

Take my advice? Where did I issue this as my advise? I am against raising the age to 65, just like you are for it. I have seen much from the pro -camp about things like they need to be retained for their experience, guys like myself and other FOs don't have the experience to fly captain on heavy iron. Heck I think the information I posted is far more relevant than the "experience" summary I hear from "your side".

No, I will not retire at 49, I can not early retire and take my pension till I am 50. At that point I will plan my exit strategy. I am 35 now and setting aside investments other than my DB plan.

I may go at 50,55 or even 60, however if it is raised I will NOT fly past 60. My goal is to go as early as possible. My goal will be to enjoy my retirement, and enjoy my family, no desire to die in my uniform at work.

Don't get so emotional, I understand and respect your decision, why you are seeking it, I just don't happen to agree with it. Be professional enough to return the same.

AAflyer

Last edited:
AAFlyer,

I think he was just posting the info, no opinion attached.

No, I will not retire at 49, I can not early retire and take my pension till I am 50. At the point I will plan my exit strategy. I am 35 now and setting aside investments other than my DB plan.

I may go at 50,55 or even 60, however if it is raised I will NOT fly past it. My goal is to go as early as possible. My goal will be to enjoy my retirement, and enjoy my family, no desire to die in my uniform at work.

Don't get so emotional, I understand and respect your decision, why you are seeking it, I just don't happen to agree with it. Be professional enough to return the same.

AAflyer

I'm not "emotional" about this issue, because it is going to change before I hit 60 regardless of how much you or I want or don't want it to change. It is some of you mainline types with pensions that seem to be getting "emotional" about it. Many of us second class pilots at the regionals, LCC, and second tier carriers don't have pension plans and never will.

If your point was that it makes more sense to retire early for a longer life, then I believe you should retire at 50. Then you will live longer. Simple right?

By the way, you said you won't retire until 50 because you can't have your pension until then. So it is a financial decision for you, as it is for EVERYONE else. If it works for you, retire early and enjoy your 36 years of golf. For those that don't have that pension, they will need to work longer.....

I think he was just posting the info, no opinion attached.

I think AAflyer is one of those rare pilots who still has a defined benefit pension plan and he is worried that the age limit is going to be increased to 65 which will hurt him and the plans he currently has.

I said it is good information, and I encourage all of you to retire at 49.9 so as to increase your lives.... Won't hurt my feelings if you want to retire at 49.9 or at 65..........

I'm not "emotional" about this issue, because it is going to change before I hit 60 regardless of how much you or I want or don't want it to change. It is some of you mainline types with pensions that seem to be getting "emotional" about it. Many of us second class pilots at the regionals, LCC, and second tier carriers don't have pension plans and never will.

If your point was that it makes more sense to retire early for a longer life, then I believe you should retire at 50. Then you will live longer. Simple right?

By the way, you said you won't retire until 50 because you can't have your pension until then. So it is a financial decision for you, as it is for EVERYONE else. If it works for you, retire early and enjoy your 36 years of golf. For those that don't have that pension, they will need to work longer.....

Nobody is saying that you can't work longer, there are plenty of flying jobs out there for over 60 folks. If you're going to need to work past 60, be sure to fly for one of them.

Latest resources

Back