Life on Reserve at Airtran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

6string

If one were to get hired, what kinda schedule might a junior reservist expect? Tryin' to get a handle on the QOL before committing too much time on the process.

Thanks,

SIX

70hr guarantee
Min 10 days off some lines 12 days
2hr call out
You can bid two reserve periods
R 0400 availability
R1 1000 availability

Good luck

You will mostly likely be working a lot. 10 days off on a 30 day month; 11 days off on a 31 day month. You bid for a line that clearly states your off days. They cannot make you work on any of your off days, but they might request it.

Only get two choices: 4 am to 8 pm, or 10 am to midnight. This is consistent throughout the month. No switching back and forth.

2 hour callout. But you'd need to be arriving into the parking lot at 1:30 for the long bus ride.

You can request to drop days off, and they actually do let you as long as they're not short. I usually drop 1-2 days per month, brining you to 11-13 days off a month.

Because of a "loophole" in the current contract, you can make good money on reserve. If you fly 50 hours, you might credit 85 hours. If you fly 60, you might make 100. If you fly 70, you'd probably end up at 110 or so. I've seen people make 120+, but that's with 10 days off, really flying a lot.

Some pilots suggest that AirTran uses Reserves as lineholders, secretly assigning them flying at the beginning of the month. No one can prove it. Put it this way, this is an extremely efficient company. Almost always, they have their Reserves working, not sitting around at home. When they then get into a crunch, they can always rely on lineholders to fill in the gaps (really what Reserves are for) for premium pay.

Joe Leonard and company do not treat their employees well, but they run an efficient and profitable company.

It's my understanding that all those rules are trying to be changed by the Union and the company as it stands. So do your research and keep an eye open for that TA that the Union is trying to pass.

Suggest you read up on the threads on their TA before you commit.

It's my understanding that all those rules are trying to be changed by the Union and the company as it stands. So do your research and keep an eye open for that TA that the Union is trying to pass.

Suggest you read up on the threads on their TA before you commit.

Wilco

You will mostly likely be working a lot. 10 days off on a 30 day month; 11 days off on a 31 day month. You bid for a line that clearly states your off days. They cannot make you work on any of your off days, but they might request it.

Only get two choices: 4 am to 8 pm, or 10 am to midnight. This is consistent throughout the month. No switching back and forth.

2 hour callout. But you'd need to be arriving into the parking lot at 1:30 for the long bus ride.

You can request to drop days off, and they actually do let you as long as they're not short. I usually drop 1-2 days per month, brining you to 11-13 days off a month.

Because of a "loophole" in the current contract, you can make good money on reserve. If you fly 50 hours, you might credit 85 hours. If you fly 60, you might make 100. If you fly 70, you'd probably end up at 110 or so. I've seen people make 120+, but that's with 10 days off, really flying a lot.

Some pilots suggest that AirTran uses Reserves as lineholders, secretly assigning them flying at the beginning of the month. No one can prove it. Put it this way, this is an extremely efficient company. Almost always, they have their Reserves working, not sitting around at home. When they then get into a crunch, they can always rely on lineholders to fill in the gaps (really what Reserves are for) for premium pay.

Joe Leonard and company do not treat their employees well, but they run an efficient and profitable company.

So reserve is commutable at least on one end if you bid the late show????

I got hired in February and have been able to hold a build up line the last two months. I will be able to hold a low line for October. B717. Even with all the BS right now, I think this company has a lot of potential as long as we get a fair contract.

Last edited:
If this contract passes we can plan on having one of the worst reserve rules in the industry. Think Mesa and then take two steps back. Thanks NPA!

work rules

Would you say that the Air Tran contract now is more like a regional contract than a major contract? The reason I ask is because it sounds like it.

I am abused almost daily here at Mesa in da beech left seat being paid ERJ Capt. pay since I am being heldback. I get 8 days off mixed line min. or I could have 10 days off. At 58.00 an hour at avg of 120 hours a month, I don't care about the pay as much as work rules.

When you compare Mesa to a non regional it scares me you should be comparing it to the life of a similar and comparable airline (like SWA,Jet Blue,Etc.), unless Air Tran is comparable to MESA? Which I don't think it is?

Fill us in with a better analogy!

Latest resources

Back