Life of an Otter Pilot - Pic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cjs said:
Dumb question .. why not just make a climbing left turn in order to avoid the cliff face?
Because the cliff is probably about 200 yards from the end of the runway. Doesn't seem that way in the picture, but it is d@mn close. The runway is also sloped uphill and the slope increase significantly after the runway towards the cliff. You are climbing without gaining a proportionate amount of ground clearance. To go around, you would be at least 45 degrees bank at maybe 50-75 feet off the ground hanging on the props hoping you don't stall into the ground.

What is also confusing from the picture is that the end of the runway is not at the end of the dirt. It is at the end of the pavement.

MDAutry said:
what is the climbout speed and feet/min. on a twin otter? Fully loaded of course...
Well today going in there I had a 11,900 lbs plane with a V2 of 79 kts. Our normal climbout is 90 kts at flaps 10 and 110 kts at flaps 0. The temp was 32 C and the density altitude 8000+. When I took off, I got about 450 fpm.

Last edited:
She's a peach....especially in the summer. At least our little pilot shack there has Skinemax and HBOs lol.

Hey Jim,
My buddy just went Air Force and now he is training with this really sharp Marine in cross over with the Navy. He looks forward to every uniform inspection... I feel sorry for him, he thought he was gonna get the easy life and then they told him he would be training in Florida with the Navy.

Anyway, on another note... What kind of times would I need to fly tours in the Grand Canyon. I do have my A&P liscense if that would help get my foot in the door?

What up Paul? What up Jim? I added a couple more pics to Airliners.net but it takes like a week to clear so watch out for them (if ya like).

Anyway, MDAutry with your time you might wanna try these guys at the canyon http://www.airgrandcanyon.com/ They fly 182's and 207's. You also might want to try King Airelines based out of Henderson. They fly c402's and 207's (I think). I don't know if you would make use of your A&P at Air Grand Canyon but I bet you would at King (not for them but for yourself).

Safe skies.

Latest resources

Back