Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Irish Pilot

What An Industry
Heres a pic taken by one of my buddies at work the other day (who also lurks these boards)...one of the great trips of being a Grand Canyon otter pilot....

Monument Valley - No Single Engine Go Arounds

You should see that runway from the ground....the cliff is right there.

Below about 200 feet, you don't go around on 2 engines either. I've seen a C-207, a Mooney and a Bonanza all stall into the ground trying to go around there. I also saw one of our Otters succesfully do it but it almost drug the left wing tip on the ground and barely missed the cliff face (all during my first time at Scenic in the 1998-2001 time frame). When I first went there as a Captain in 1999, we were taught that below 250 feet you are committed to landing - perferably on the runway but off it if need be.

What that picture does not show is that the cliff is about 1/2 mile from the end of the runway and that the runway slopes up significantly towards the cliff.

Irish Pilot said:
Heres a pic taken by one of my buddies at work the other day (who also lurks these boards)...one of the great trips of being a Grand Canyon otter pilot....

Monument Valley - No Single Engine Go Arounds

You should see that runway from the ground....the cliff is right there.

Linky es no beuno amigo. Gringo say "big no no."

Dumb question .. why not just make a climbing left turn in order to avoid the cliff face?

what is the climbout speed and feet/min. on a twin otter? Fully loaded of course...

Latest resources

Back