Life at UPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hello Upsers,
Current research has led me to ask, is the qol worth the night schedule? Do the trips take you away too long, are you enjoying the hell out of your work?

I only ask as my career is at a crossroads, first baby on the way, and flying pax is not it's cracked up to be.

I guess it depends on the fleet you choose, but QOL is the best part of this job and the pay aint bad either. We all do not fly at night either.

kidflo

No I didn't forget the pool. No I didn't see the humor from his post. When it comes from a person who seems to like to stir things up, were is the humor in that??

Years to go before I upgrade.

As if that guy could do anything about it anyway. What a crock.

Hello Upsers,
Current research has led me to ask, is the qol worth the night schedule? Do the trips take you away too long, are you enjoying the hell out of your work?

I only ask as my career is at a crossroads, first baby on the way, and flying pax is not it's cracked up to be.

Once you get some time under your belt, night is not the only option. The trips can be as short as an afternoon or a morning, or as long as two weeks. Your choice. I enjoy it as much as anything, but it is a job, not a hobby.

Bottom line, c'mon in, the water is fine!

How long before holding a line in ANC on the MD11? And how is the commute up there from, say, PHL or EWR? I'm assuming the ANC trips are the week on/week off type of thing.

World has lost 3 FO's to UPS in the last 2 months. I believe one had no internal recs.

wouldn't it be accurate to say that IPX was the origin of UPS, and the guys that came here from Orion, Evergreen, etc, interviewed and were hired the same as anyone else, albeit they were given some seniority benefits.

Correct! The IPX guys became 1 thru 25 (or 26) on the seniority list and everyone else had to apply and go thru the interview and hiring process. The UPS air carrier certificate was originally issued to International Parcel Express which was based in Oakland. UPS apparently had owned IPX since it was certified a year or so earlier. A bunch of Orion, etc. pilots didn't get hired and filed a lawsuit because UPS allegedly misled them into staying with the contractors until UPS was able to take over. I understand they collected some money from the lawsuit but they didn't get on the UPS seniority list.

I have read many 80 for 80 posts, aka The Guat, etc, etc. In my view he/she is either a UPS wannabe who never succeeded OR someone who’s been at UPS for a while and for whatever reason likes to pick on pilots who are still trying to get hired at UPS.

I heard he is an Eagle pilot.

How long before holding a line in ANC on the MD11? And how is the commute up there from, say, PHL or EWR? I'm assuming the ANC trips are the week on/week off type of thing.

World has lost 3 FO's to UPS in the last 2 months. I believe one had no internal recs.

I would suspect ups started the ANC domicile to break up trips, i wouldn't plan on to majoritiy of trips being long blocks of days on. Currently ANC is the junior base with 747-400 FO slots needing to be filled with new hires.

Commuting might be harder do to the distance involved and the summer traffic to anchorage.

Once you get some time under your belt, night is not the only option. The trips can be as short as an afternoon or a morning, or as long as two weeks. Your choice. I enjoy it as much as anything, but it is a job, not a hobby.

Bottom line, c'mon in, the water is fine!

Don't the afternoon trips end like at midnight to 0100 and the morning trips start around 0330?

Hello Upsers,

I guess "too long" is entirely subjective. I have a two-week trip coming up and that's my one commute for the month. I won't see SDF at all and most of this trip is during daylight hours (locally). I couldn't be happier.

Personally, I think the perception that flying freight means only flying at night is similar to the misconception people have when they ask you "what's your route?"

ANC is way too new of a domicile to predict what the trips like will be in the future...but I agree with the above poster in that while there may be some longer trips from ANC, many will likely be 4-on 3-off style.

UPS currently has no departures from PHL non-stop to ANC.

There is a UPS 1am departure EWR-ANC Tue-Sat morning and FedEx does EWR-ANC 7 nights a week, though Sunday night’s flight goes through ORD.

RO

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back