Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wingnutt said:
well that sucks.

can someone explain why it is then, that people are so hyped about flying for them?

your post didnt show any f/o that got what i used to make flying a C90 single pilot :(

with a 17 day schedule and 2200 a month, am i the only one who just cant see the attraction :confused:
Ok. While some are stranded on the SIC payscale for long periods, we are talking about the last 48 people hired at NetJets (out of 1850 pilots). I was hired in 2002, I am a SIC and am on the Captain payscale. I have been since my 6th week at NetJets. Now that the fleet is expanding again, I expect most SIC pay to go away after 6 months or so. Most stay because of the "hope" of a better contract and the promise of retro pay that would bring the low low SIC pay of 27K up to 40K-45K retro active to date of hire. No one knew it would take so long.

With that said, I see the contract problem closed in 3 months (cautiously optimistic). NetJets will be a far better place to work than it is today, including pay. That's the attraction.

Schrode said:
Ok. While some are stranded on the SIC payscale for long periods, we are talking about the last 48 people hired at NetJets (out of 1850 pilots). I was hired in 2002, I am a SIC and am on the Captain payscale. I have been since my 6th week at NetJets. Now that the fleet is expanding again, I expect most SIC pay to go away after 6 months or so. Most stay because of the "hope" of a better contract and the promise of retro pay that would bring the low low SIC pay of 27K up to 40K-45K retro active to date of hire. No one knew it would take so long.

With that said, I see the contract problem closed in 3 months (cautiously optimistic). NetJets will be a far better place to work than it is today, including pay. That's the attraction.
You know. I talked to the MEC chair about that very thing (Capt. pay bypass) and he said as long as you keep a standing bid (the bid system of the new contract) in for a captain position of the aircraft you are flying then you will be pay protected in the new contract as well.

Schrode said:
Most stay because of the "hope" of a better contract and the promise of retro pay that would bring the low low SIC pay of 27K up to 40K-45K retro active to date of hire. No one knew it would take so long.
ok, well that helps explain it..but my mindset has always been to never work "hoping" that a certain thing will improve. ive had more than one employer attempt to keep me with the "hope" of getting a bigger airplane, more pay, or better benefits only to have me leave anyways. and you know what? none of the proposed improvements ever came about, even long after i was gone.

as much as i think you guys deserve better (and not to defend management) whats the motivation for them to appease the pilot group on the pay raise issue, much less make it retro? hell, in their eyes youre already in the system, and knew what the pay was when you started.

Schrode said:
I was hired in 2002, I am a SIC and am on the Captain payscale. I have been since my 6th week at NetJets.
now that is intriguing...this is an angle i hadnt heard as of yet. how does one get on the captain payscale and not be a PIC, in their 6th week no less?

There is a long explanation for this but the quick and dirty answer is:

If a pilot junior to you upgrades, upon passing his/her checkride you both recieve captains pay.

Back in 02 people were being hired left and right and we had a lot of off the street captains meaning they were hired directly into the left seat. For example, when I was hired in Feb 02 I bid captain right away. My seniority number was something like 1530. Anyone with a seniority number less that 1530 who wasnt already a captain began recieving the higher pay when I passed my checkride.

At NJA all we have is hope. We work our asses off and we make sh!t for money. We have a tremendous pilot group who is very talented and very dedicated. Hopefully the stars will align, the tin man will get a heart, and someone will shoot the grinch so that we can get a career instead of a stepping stone.

wingnutt said:
now that is intriguing...this is an angle i hadnt heard as of yet. how does one get on the captain payscale and not be a PIC, in their 6th week no less?
In the contract it states basically that if the company elects to hire captains off the street (which they did for a time int he CE560) then all senior pilots to them will get pay bypass. I feel for the 48 FO's we have with no PICs junior to them....

ok then...thanks for the info man, and good luck with the contract :cool:

A300

A300 sounds like you are at Tradewinds. China is going to explode and it's starting now. Depending on your age, I'd stay there till 60 then go fractional.

No, I'm at their competition. You're right though, Asia is ready to explode but things being what they are I'm not ready to be away from my young family(wife--three little ones) for 32 or even 18 days at a time. At least in the states I can jumpseat home on the weekends to help my wife out with the kids. But over there you're stuck. It's not for me. Some guys like it but the pay doesn't improve for us all that much and to me it's not worth it.

If I wouldn't have to take such a pay cut a fractional would probably be a better deal for me. Right now though, I don't think I could afford it. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

BTW, Thanks to everyone for replying to my original question...I really appreciate all the input.

Abus300pilot

Unfortunately, at the fractionals jumpseating is just about out of the question. There are one or two outfits that you can use but 121 is definitely the way to go if you have to commute. Family is number one, and some of the guys here on the 7/7 sked say even that's too much time away from wife and kids. Enjoy your family man, they grow up way to quickly.

For those saying, "I stayed here when we were only 200 strong because I saw potential growth...blah...blah...blah..." This translates to, "nobody else would hire me...the majors all turned me down...but I ended up here and, guess what ? THE PAY STILL SUCKS ! BTW, I voted YES for the current contract, because I think it's just KEEN to fly jets. They are so much nicer than 2 and 4 seat single engine recips."

Latest resources

Back